cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scale numbers and distribution setup

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for some help/advice on my WDH setup and adjustment.
I went to the scale and these are my numbers:
W/ WDH
Steer:3380
Drive: 3900
Trailer: 6580
W/O WDH
Steer: 3180
Drive : 4200
trailer: 6500
Truck
Steer:3500
Drive: 3140

This was loaded for a 9 day trip.

I have not measured the truck heights, but everything sits pretty level. Just looking at the numbers it seems as though I should adjust more weight onto the steer axle. I have an Equlizer WD. How do I adjust more weight to the front axle? Is this adding another washer or 2? There seems to be a lot of adjustment factors in the hitches and don't want to make things go the wrong way.

I know I am at my limits, but want to make sure things are set up as best they can. I do increase air pressure to help as well.

I used the towing planner chart, and I am right around 10% tongue weight.

For information truck is a 2016 Chevy 1500. GAWL 3950, GVWR 7200. Trailer is a Keystone Passport with GVW 7200.
12 REPLIES 12

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
camper1013 wrote:
The truck drives good. I get some sway when it is windy, but I just slow down and it isn't bad.

If you get any sway you may be in for big trouble.

When the tail weighs more than the dog and it starts to wag you may not be able to stop it.

A trailer should not sway under any normal condition including wind or trucks passing.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
10% tongue weight is pretty ugly. Every time I had a trailer get around that number it had a tendency to sway.

That being said, I would reload all of your heavy stuff up front if you had more room on your rear axel weight. The closer you get to a 15% number the better it will tow and handle and brake. The trick is to get all four tires and brakes to do the same work on both the trailer and truck.

I also like the get a 50/50 split on steer/ drive. On most setups you can't get there but I like to get as close a possible on those numbers.

Also get the front of the trailer down in the front by an inch or two. This will help with aero and put a few pounds of tongue weight on your trailer. This will also help with panic braking.

Have fun and good luck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
The truck drives good. I get some sway when it is windy, but I just slow down and it isn't bad.

I never thought of the fact that if I am hauling a load, the weight is going to shift also. That is a good point.

I was noticing that my numbers didn't seem to be where they should, any almost every post on here mentions to not trust the dealer setup, so it is nice to get some options and thoughts from everyone.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
So, we know that you are close on your numbers but within limits. Knowing that, how does it drive?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
120 lbs off of your front axle is nothing to be concerned about it. No different than taking home a few 80 lb bags of salt in the bed for your water softener. Pickups are designed to have a load in the bed and function perfecting fine.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
The cargo weight from the sticker is 1612.

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It is an Equal-i-zer hitch. The weights I listed are fully loaded trailer, tank of fuel, and the family for a 9 day trip,so typically there is a little less for supplies. This was however with an empty fresh water tank, which usually has water in it.

The weight of just the truck was everything loaded just as hooked up, without the trailer, but including the hitch and bars. The truck typically has zero gravity chairs and bins with kids sand and water toys.

Right now everything appears level. Like I mentioned, I have not measured. The wear on the L brackets and bars is even based off of the paint wear. The trailer is in storage for another month, so checking that will have to wait.

The tires are a P rated Goodyear Wrangler rated for 2469 Lbs with max pressure of 51 PSI. I have been running 45 in the rear and 38 in the front, which definitely helped compared to the 35 on the door post.

I am looking at upgrading to a 3500, but until that happens I want to get this dialed in.

When I get the trailer back I will work on adding some washers. Just wanted to make sure that that was the right direction to go, which it sounds like that is a good place to start.

Thanks again everyone!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawrosa wrote:
Snip...

If its true , yes, get more weight up front by tilting head more. And reweigh...

Problem is you will loose % on tongue. Make sure trailer is tilted down some towards the nose of trailer to truck.
Snip...

He will not lose any of his tongue weight percentage. Adjusting the WD hitch DOES NOT change the tongue weight of the trailer and therefor does not change the tendency of the trailer to sway or not. All it does is change how that weight is distributed to the truck and trailer.

I prefer my trailers to be level and not nose down. By doing that, the weight is even on all the trailers tires even though the axles are connected by what is commonly called an equalizer. It does not equalize the weight when the trailer is nose down or up. It just allows the axles to move somewhat independently of each other. If you cannot get it level, then the best option is for it to be a bit nose down. Never have it nose up as this contributes to the tendency to sway.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note. I added all washers to mine. I also have a 740lb TW @ 14% though. I think for you to restore that weight you may need them all.

Your 120 lbs off but it depends.

How many are in there now?

This is them removing washers from the EQ hitch.. You certainly need to add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcB2yeZr4s

Also what tires you running and whats the weight rating on the side wall?????

Tires are the biggest issue at this point as you are at your axle rate. If the tires are p rated you must derate the side wall rating.

Post those pecs, tire brand, max cold pressure , and weight rating on side wall..

If they are 44 psi tires I would be running full psi to reduce heat. Adding air does not increase weight rating unless they are LT tires...

You may want to consider a LT tire upgrade.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales/?w1sa=3380&w1da=3900&w1ta=6580&w2sa=31...

Yes here is your data.

Is this the truck and camper fully loaded and a full tank of fuel with all people and gear?

You are within 50 lbs of your rear trucks axle weight.

Something seems amiss here.

You have a 740 lb TW @ 10.2%

Can your drive axle rear truck alone weight of 3140 be correct?

Example my 2006 silvy only has a 3750 rear axle rate. My full fuel and me in truck is 2300 lbs rear. 3750-2300= 1450 payload.

Yours 3950-3140= 810 lb payload. Something wrong maybe.

If its true , yes, get more weight up front by tilting head more. And reweigh...

Problem is you will loose % on tongue. Make sure trailer is tilted down some towards the nose of trailer to truck.

Post a pic of the truck trailer and WD assemble all hooked up.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were it me, I would adjust the hitch to restore the front axle weight to the same as it was before you hitched up. Don't worry about the rear axle of the truck. It will take care of itself.
By doing that, your headlight aim will be fine and the steering components will be at their normal angles etc. You will probably find that the truck rides a bit better also. Some vehicle manufactures say to only restore 50% but I am one who feels that allows the headlights to aim too high so I use 100%.

You say you have an Equalizer hitch. Is that the brand name Equal-i-zer or a generic equalizing hitch? If Equal-i-zer, the "L" brackets should be adjusted so the bars are level with the surface they rest on the brackets. You don't want the bars angled upwards because the bars will then only rub on the front edge of the L bracket. Same goes for the bars angled downward. They will then only rub on the rear surface of the L bracket. What you want is for the bars to rub flat on the bracket and adjust for that.

To adjust the amount of weight transferred to the truck, you tilt the hitch head by adding or subtracting washers. Start with 5 and work your way up from there. In your case, I would add two more and then re-weigh your rig.

The same adjustment process goes for a normal WD hitch. Once you find the correct chain link to use (usually 5 minimum) you adjust the weight transfer by tilting the hitch head. The reason for the 5 minimum chain links between the snap-ups and bars is to let the bars move back and forth when making turns. Too few links and the chains will crash into the brackets and/or pull the bracket forward or backward on the A frame. Also can bend the brackets if bar pull is strong enough.

Hope this wordy explanation helps you or someone else a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to a calculator that takes all your numbers and tells you where you're at.

You'll need to get a couple more numbers from your tire / loading sticker and your hitch receiver.

Another calculator that may help with loading.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)