cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shank drop question

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me TT and a dealer supplied weight distribution hitch assembly. I feel like I need a shank with just a touch more drop. The trailer is sitting just a little front high with the head bolted into the lowest hole. I measured the drop of the supplied shank at 7". So here is my question. Are all shanks universal as to the spacing of the holes? Will my Pro Series head bolt up to any solid drop shank or is the bolt spacing and shank width brand specific. Here are a few pictures.

2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2
6 REPLIES 6

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your welcome. The learning never stops....

Good for you sorting this out to make your towing the best it can be. It takes some time to learn, and we all had to learn it, and the end results are a long time of good times ahead.

Your rig looks nice. Have fun camping.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I have learned a lot in a short time. John.... My 7" was from center of the shank that goes into the receiver down to the bottom of the shank. Thank you for the link that you provided.
ScottG...... Makes perfect sense now. Thank you
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The bar in Johns post above shows what I was talking about. Notice where the top hole is on yours and where the top hole is on eTrailers? The bar from etrailer will shift everything down a bit. Hopefully that will work for you.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
garysol wrote:
I The trailer is sitting just a little front high with the head bolted into the lowest hole. I measured the drop of the supplied shank at 7". So here is my question. Are all shanks universal as to the spacing of the holes? Will my Pro Series head bolt up to any solid drop shank or is the bolt spacing and shank width brand specific. Here are a few pictures.

Hi,

First, just letting you know you stated " measured the drop of the supplied shank at 7"

There is industry standard language about rise and drop of a shank in ratings and it will differ between a round bar hitch and a trunnion bar hitch.

The 7" you measured looks more like the physical length of the end of the shank with the holes in it. Is that correct?

The shank you have now looks by eye from your pic to be a 2" maybe 2 1/2" drop in the way the ratings are declared.

The shank drop or rise amount of a WD shank is the distance from the ball mounting surface to the top of the 2" square shank. Notice I stated ball mounting surface which is on the hitch head.

See this shank from Curthttps://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/C17122.html

The holes are spaced on 1 1/4" settings. Measure your hitch head bolt center and check that 1.25" will divide equally into the hitch head bolt center.

Your hitch head is a round bar hitch, so the shank I listed is rated at 7" of drop for a round bar hitch. You can most likely get by with less than the 7" drop, but what I showed you is how to determine the ratings of shanks and how to make sure the bolts fit your shank.

Etrailer has many shanks that will work. The Curt brand will work with the all steel hitch head you have. They also sell Reese brands and many others. A good place for hitch parts

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The spacing is the same but the point from which they start can be different.
That can force a change in height of something like 3/4".

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure the shanks are all the same (holes spaced the same). But you can always measure the distance between 2 holes and go check out other shanks at anywhere trailer hitch supplies are sold (like Tractor Supply Company), or your local truck dealer, as they almost always sell trailering supplies.