cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we cancel Myrtle Beach Trip

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip booked to Myrtle Beach Starting September 8th. This trip was scheduled in October of last year.

There are three couples going all in sperate RV's. We are booked at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

We keep hearing that Myrtle Beach is a hotspot etc in the media but when asking others they say it isn't as bad as what is being reported.

We have to make a final decision by Sept 1st and was wondering if anyone has gone and can give a realistic report on what things are like there

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
28 REPLIES 28

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
You would be going into a tourist area. Conditions can change at any time. Personally, I believe the medical experts re number of deaths. Even without dying, you could spend weeks or months in a debilitated condition. And who knows about long term effects? If I went, I'd stay out of bars, restaurants, museums, etc. Hell, I'd even stay off a crowded beach.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Was hoping this thread didn't get derailed from the fearful.

My 79yr old uncle and and 75yr old Aunt recently tested positive for Covid and just called today and reported they were initially terrified but said after feeling tired for a couple days are now feeling fine.....I'm not worried now.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the virus back just after Christmas, and amazingly enough survived just fine. Had all the symptoms, got tested for the Flu A & B, negative, X-rayed for pneumonia, negative. Was sick for a couple weeks but recovered, just like 99% of the people who actually test positive for it. I never got tested because they didn't know what it was. I was prescribed an inhalant, and steroids, pretty normal treatment for a "sever upper respiratory infection", which is what I had.

It can be serious for people with underlying conditions, not so much for most of the rest of us.

If you don't go now, you'll regret it. Live life, don't cower away from it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
God help us. I am also the proud father of a nurse and the father in law of a crna.
The understanding of some people is absolutely amazing.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:

Everything in this reply is 110% WRONG. Just ask my daughter...an ICU nurse.

ICU nurses are not the bringers of science they are the ones that act upon the information they are given. Please learn to think critically or you'll continue to sound ill informed and thus a tad silly.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Numbers are BS. Wife and I decided to get tested so went to local test site and filled out papers. Got a phone call about her mother falling in nursing home and left before taking test to check on her. A few days later we were informed we tested positive. Never took the test.
I believe there is a virus out there but way over blown in media.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
I still do not know anyone who has the virus, much less gotten sick. I always know people who get the flu each winter, but not this season, people seem more well than ever.
A pandemic it is not, not even if the 160,000 death toll were factual. 30,000 - 80,000 deaths per year from the flu are normal and not a pandemic. Considering most of the deaths were "with" the virus, not "from" the virus you have to wonder...
It turns out the little 7 year old kid in GA who died "from covid" actually died from hitting his head in the tub after falling from having a seizure. After death he was tested and found to have the "virus" so declared as dying from it, they had no idea he had a virus and are not sure if the covid is a cold, or other of the many covid virus' out there.. States almost decided or did decide to not open schools because of this kids death.
Dont be a nancy.
There is a real virus out there, but it is not the monster the news makes it out to be.
If you get it take HCQ as soon as possible. It is the cure! You must take it at onset, not after you are dying though.
Go about your life. Wash hands correctly. The mask do very little.
What do lab techs wear in the lab when working with deadly virus'? Do they wear a hanky, or do they wear a full vinyl suit with filtered air piped in from another room? If they could wear their shirt over their face they would not go to all the trouble of looking like a space man for protection.

Everything in this reply is 110% WRONG. Just ask my daughter...an ICU nurse.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is lying, Mr. Andyj? The federal government departments involved, most members of Congress, all of the states, most counties and cities, my doctors, my nurse sister in law. Bury your head in the sand if you wish.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With this virus my advice sir is take on chances.
I listen often to folks who say "We don't need masks" or even "masks are harmful" (we do and they are not) Who claim "The death rate is over blown" (Under counted is more likely I will explain that) I don't believe them.

This is one virus I have no desire to mess with.

The death count.
One "Study" looked at what I call the average death rate. Baring somethign like 9-11-2001 you can predict how many deaths year to date for any given day of the year and it will be fairly close.. WHY Because people die at about the same rate less something happens.

So if you count dead bodies. NOT COVID but all dead bodies.. Subtract the normal year body count. what you have left is the "Extras due to ____" (Whatever the disaster of the week is) in this case COVID-19.

160,000 +_ is the official count
The method I just gave is about 200,000 last I checked.

As the Office supervisor said when a phone rang then stopped"
IT's just the fax mam. Just the Fax.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I still do not know anyone who has the virus, much less gotten sick. I always know people who get the flu each winter, but not this season, people seem more well than ever.
A pandemic it is not, not even if the 160,000 death toll were factual. 30,000 - 80,000 deaths per year from the flu are normal and not a pandemic. Considering most of the deaths were "with" the virus, not "from" the virus you have to wonder...
It turns out the little 7 year old kid in GA who died "from covid" actually died from hitting his head in the tub after falling from having a seizure. After death he was tested and found to have the "virus" so declared as dying from it, they had no idea he had a virus and are not sure if the covid is a cold, or other of the many covid virus' out there.. States almost decided or did decide to not open schools because of this kids death.
Dont be a nancy.
There is a real virus out there, but it is not the monster the news makes it out to be.
If you get it take HCQ as soon as possible. It is the cure! You must take it at onset, not after you are dying though.
Go about your life. Wash hands correctly. The mask do very little.
What do lab techs wear in the lab when working with deadly virus'? Do they wear a hanky, or do they wear a full vinyl suit with filtered air piped in from another room? If they could wear their shirt over their face they would not go to all the trouble of looking like a space man for protection.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a chance I wouldn't go. Life's too short to worry and second guess, go and have a good time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We live in VA and Myrtle beach is a very popular vacation destination.
No one that I know has canceled even knowing the proclamations the media is making.

Good hygienic practices go a long ways in every facet of life.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
go, but be cautious. wear your mask and use hand wipes when you're not near a sink to wash your hands. stay away from crowds.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would still go. They are right, I have heard from many people in other areas of Th country that have reported the same.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!