Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar powered electric vehicle.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi All,

This may be be the ultimate boondocking units?

https://solarrolla.com/vehicles/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
31 REPLIES 31

dedmiston
2oldman wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Moved from Tech Issues to General RV Issues.
I might suggest ATC. This is not going to end well.

Too late.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of the people commenting in this thread were out in the sun way too long.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Same kind of โ€œslash and burnโ€ at any new construction site (houses, rv parks, offices, power step down stations, NPS buildings, etc).

Pine Mt RV Resort
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just look at the slash and burn to place that transformer ๐Ÿ˜‰

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

So, instead of planting trees, grasses, food crops to correct supposed man made climate change, we instead strip the land of all it's vegetationโ€ฆ..

Look up agrivoltaics

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Likewise Mr Nevada โ€ฆ some people just canโ€™t help reaffirm themselves โ€ฆ good day โ€ฆ

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
riah wrote:
Wow โ€ฆ how sadโ€ฆ so many closed minds

Ok I lied. Iโ€™ll continue participating in this discussion.
I donโ€™t have a closed mind, although in your opinion I may, so maybe you can enlighten me how a DCDc charger would work in that scenario and how it would provide a net benefit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Wow โ€ฆ how sadโ€ฆ so many closed minds

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Should be on a forum that deals with spurious climate claimology and the ditching of real science (a state sanctioned retreat to medieval scientism)โ€ฆJMO,

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y-Guy wrote:
I might suggest ATC. This is not going to end well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
riah wrote:
Adding a DCDC charger to your system would also be helpful in creating additional charging capacity while driving down the road to supplement what is being produced by your solar panels!

It's not "my system".

I don't think the "wings" could be deployed while driving down the road, so probably only 1/3 of the solar array could be used while driving and would actually reduce the daily output if driving mid day.

Why would you need a different charging system while driving vs sitting. Only thing you would want to be careful of it to makes sure the wings are disconnected when covered, so they don't backfeed while shaded under the central panels.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those two vans with the outstretched panels remind me of a caption that fits this topic "When pigs fly".
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
With at least a 320 mile range on one tank of gas I am enjoying my go anywhere at anytime gasser truck for convenient no worry and hassle free travel. No heavy bulky solar panels or scarce out of the way charging stations with long wait time for me. Cheers

Be my guest. Pay at least 3 times as much money to go the same distance, and that is for fuel only.

My solar was $5 per watt in 2005 and has paid for itself several times over. Not one bit of maintenance has been done.

I could replace it for $2 per watt--but what I have meets my needs as a part time rv'er. Besides I still get the OEM output.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.