cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter vs Half Ton

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some input on towing the below 5ver's with my truck. Shipping weight looks good but the GVWR and the hitch weight on the Sprinter doesn't add up. I assume as long as I stay in the half ton tow able class of 5th wheels I am ok. Here are the Details

2016 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab standard bed 6.2L gas 3.73 rear end. Combined weight not to exceed 2,924 LBS

5ver #1

Keystone Half Ton 29 res.
empty 8,605.0 Hitch weight 1,405.0 lbs

5ver #2

Keystone Sprinter 29fwrl
empty 9,050 Hitch weight 1970lbs

Why is the hitch weight so much higher on the Sprinter? Am I good on either 5ver?

Thanks in advance.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
6 REPLIES 6

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
drsteve wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
The issue is the pin weight of the Keystone Half Ton 29 res is low. Needs to be 22%±; it's way too light.

Just more proof that the factory dry weights are fictional. In this case, they gotta convince people that it really is "half ton towable". I have no doubt that the scales would tell a much different tale than the brochure.

Very true, they can say dry wt, and pin wt, whatever they want. They need to be honest with GVWR.

OP, another thought, the 1/2 ton towables often have smaller tanks, fresh water, and others. They also often have a lower CCC, and lighter duty axles/hubs/brakes (4,400 lb axles). The heavier FW you mention, likely has 5,200 axles (much better).

Jerry

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
The issue is the pin weight of the Keystone Half Ton 29 res is low. Needs to be 22%±; it's way too light.

Just more proof that the factory dry weights are fictional. In this case, they gotta convince people that it really is "half ton towable". I have no doubt that the scales would tell a much different tale than the brochure.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You are good to go with room to spare.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your 6.2 3.73 is designed to tow a FW weighing up to 12K lbs. It will have no problem carrying a pin wt up to 2,500. Depending what all/who all you have in the truck, you may go slightly over the class 2 registration wt of 10,000, but you will be well under your RAWR/tire max rating.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The design of the FW, floor plan, construction, etc will make pin wts vary. Most FW pins will end up at 20-25 percent of loaded actual scaled wt.

Your truck should have no problem carrying the wt of either of those trailers.

Jerry