cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squeaky Wipers

Sparkie616
Explorer
Explorer
I have '03 Suzuki GV that I tow behind my class A MH. No matter what I do, I can't stop the wipers from squeaking, and quite frankly, it's driving me nuts! I've tried every concoction I can think of to clean the windshield and every type and price of wiper blade but to no avail. I've even thought about replacing the windshield, but was told that all windshields are basically the same in terms of quality. Any suggestions???
Sparkie616
7 REPLIES 7

Sparkie616
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I finally solved my problem, and I'm a bit surprised nobody else thought of it first! It turns out it wasn't the wiper blades (or the windshield, for that matter) that was the problem. After much head scratching, and a certain amount of swearing, I had an epiphany! I lifted the wiper arms up, turned on the wiper, and low and behold they still squeaked! The problem turned out to be the linkage between the wipers. I got that lubricated and it quieted down. I will, however, have to replace the linkage, but that's for another day!
Sparkie616

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ace hardware has a product called Gel Gloss, no streak glass wax/cleaner. I believe it is the same product but different name of the former"glass wax" we used long time ago. It stopped my squeaking. Also I use commercial window cleaner concentrate from home depot, two capfuls per gallon, in all my vehicles and it works better than the pre mixed gallons you can get at auto stores. It may not be the blades but the arms that need replacing, keep us updated...

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You replace wipers when they streak, not squeak. The problem is that the wipers are not perpendicular to the glass, meaning they aren't dragged in both direction, as they should be. They are tilted into the glass in one direction causing them to squeak or chatter, and that's also the reason new blades don't help, because it's mechanical.

Figure out which blade to go after and watch what direction it's chattering or squeaking, then grab the arm and bend-twist it in the OPPOSITE direction of the direction it makes the noise. Problem solved.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
For me Bosch wipers and no rain-x fluid.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the whole wiper arm, just not the blade. I like the Rain-X wipers.

Don't run them unless the windshield is really wet.

And as a last resort.... just turn up the radio. ๐Ÿ˜„
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to go where it doesn't rain.

Other than new good blades, I'd go with ^^^
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check any of the online sites for Squeaking Wipers?