cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

steering wheel strap?

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
ok, i have a 2014 dodge journey, i am going to pull it on a demco ss tow dolly. my question is, demco says to use steering wheel strap on cars that do not have lock steering wheels. is this nessasary or not?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›
7 REPLIES 7

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Tie it down, it makes a difference.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a Cherokee four down and experiencing "death wobble" is an entirely different situation than towing on a dolly. In fact, a 4X4 Cherokee can not be dolly towed unless the rear drive shaft is disconnected.
Tieing the steering wheel while dolly towing is to keep the front wheel straight ahead so they don't move and possibly slip out of the basket straps. Even with the safety chains proper installed, that could be a very bad thing!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

richnorsworthy
Explorer
Explorer
This may be the same problem with the 2014-18 Jeep Cherokees. They finally come out with a wiring harness to keep power to the electronic steering. I do not think your insurance will cover you if you are using a strap to hold the steering wheel while towing if you have an accident. Just run into a fellow in last couple of weeks still using strap on his 2014 Cherokee because his dealer would not put the wiring harness on! I told him to go to Corporate and work it from there. This dealer is not ethical!

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Doesn't your 2014 dodge journey already have a locking steering wheel? When you park, put the vehicle in P, shut off the key and remove it, doesn't the steering wheel lock in place so you can only steer a couple inches either way?

That's what the dolly instructions are talking about I think. Or did I miss the point of your question?

no it does not have the locking steering, i think it is electronic steering.it does not have a key it is passive ignition.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't your 2014 dodge journey already have a locking steering wheel? When you park, put the vehicle in P, shut off the key and remove it, doesn't the steering wheel lock in place so you can only steer a couple inches either way?

That's what the dolly instructions are talking about I think. Or did I miss the point of your question?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
One would think that the basket straps on the front wheels would hold the wheels straight. Not necessarily true!
Long ago, I towed a vehicle with non-locking steering on a U-Haul dolly (DEMCO), and by the time I got home, the front wheels had gone to a full left turn. I don't know why it happened.
So, yes, I would say to follow the instructions. You do NOT want to take any chance that your car might fall off the dolly. That would ruin your day!

thank's for that input, i have used other brands tow dolly many times without problem. this is my first time with demco ss so i am wondering why. that sounds like a good reason why. i guess it is because of the demco steering.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
One would think that the basket straps on the front wheels would hold the wheels straight. Not necessarily true!
Long ago, I towed a vehicle with non-locking steering on a U-Haul dolly (DEMCO), and by the time I got home, the front wheels had gone to a full left turn. I don't know why it happened.
So, yes, I would say to follow the instructions. You do NOT want to take any chance that your car might fall off the dolly. That would ruin your day!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"