cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing the Tow Bar

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
New to Dingy towing and Class A. I've installed a BlueOx towbar/baseplate to pull my Wrangler with. When not towing, do most leave the towbar in place (I've seen a cover you can buy) or do you remove it? If I have to remove it, that's more storage to account for...If I leave it, do I have to worry about it bouncing around and coming out of the "stored" position? Other considerations I haven't thought of yet?

Mike
23 year Active Duty Air Force
Waiting to retire (when I'm done having fun)
Empty Nesting it starting Summer 2016
2003 Damon Escaper 40' 3 slides (my first Class A)
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)
18 REPLIES 18

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how I'd tow my boat, and my sxs atv if I left it on.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

bigdaddy51200
Explorer
Explorer
stays on covered , I use a bungee to secure to the hitch to make sure it doesn't come unlatched and bounce around.
2014 THOR CHALLENGER 37KT

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine stays on the motorhome, covered, in season. I pull it off for winter storage, or for extended trips when I'm not towing.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the motorhome and covered when stored.

Remember to follow manufacturers cleaning and lubrication instructions on the retracting rods on the tow bar. EASY!

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Roadmaster tow bar stays on motorhome. Gets covered if not going to be used again in the next few days.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays on the coach uncovered. A simple clean and lube every once in awhile and you are good to go.

The bar is locked on the coach but I do not lock the bar to the toad. Reason being that in case of a fire in either unit, it takes to long to unlock and you could end up burning everything to the ground.

An acquaintance locked everything and one day, his toad caught fire. Didn't have the keys handy and coach burned up along with the toad

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays in place all summer, uncovered.

I remove it when I winterize and put it back on in the spring. I have been doing the same for over 10 years with no problem.

A few years ago, about 3, I had Blue Ox inspect it at a GS rally and they replaced some of the parts, nuts and bolt stuff. The inspection cost $25 as I remember and included all the repairs.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster tow bar that folds up on the front of the truck. It often stays there all summer. I wash the bugs off it now and then, and lubricate it with silicone spray as needed. No problems.
Oh, wait, last fall I did encounter a problem. The towbar had been in place so long that the adapters were rusted in place. I had a hard time removing them. So, I cleaned them and coated them with copper based anti-seize compound. If you normally leave your towbar attached, you might want to consider removing it for cleaning now and then. It doesn't take much rust to make it a permanent fixture!
When I was towing a Jeep, I had a fixed arm adjustable width A-frame towbar by Reese that stayed on the front of the Jeep. I used the safety chains to hold the bar upright. It worked great! Yes, here in Montana that is not against the law.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox sell a cover and also a set of 3 locks. Larger pin holds it into receiver. The other 2 pins attach it to your toad. One key key fits all 3 locks. I also use the Blue Ox Kar Gard for rock protection. It is made to fit the Blue Ox tow bar. The tow bar folds and a latch holds it in place. I roll up the Kar Gard and put a bungee around it. It all stays attached to the MH.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep mine covered when it's not in use. I use a Blue Ox cover I ordered from Amazon.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

janstey
Explorer
Explorer
Covered.
JeffA and KimA
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H (Workhorse Chassis) / with two slides
2003 Jeep Liberty toad, all 4 down w/brake buddy

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Mine also stays attached all the time. I have a Blue Ox locking pin which should keep it relatively safe. No need to bungee etc. as no amount of a bump or jar is going to move it out of its storage position. I do have a cover which I use if I'm not going to be towing for the next week or so. If I'm just somewhere for a night or two or three, I don't use it. The only exception is if I'm at a beach or desert type location with sand blowing around, I'll cover it even for a short stay. Doubt there are really any right or wrong answers.
www.putt10.net

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
stays on the motorhome, covered.
bumpy

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
Just the answers I wanted! Now, those that leave them on, do you put a cover on it or just leave it exposed and keep it someone clean?
23 year Active Duty Air Force
Waiting to retire (when I'm done having fun)
Empty Nesting it starting Summer 2016
2003 Damon Escaper 40' 3 slides (my first Class A)
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)