cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sugar beet harvest red river valley

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
Any one worked the sugar beet harvest red river valley?
13 REPLIES 13

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
carl2591 wrote:
did a quick look.. now i see and watched a couple of the videos.. thanks

seem a bit harder that say working at amazon for the same dollars.

I've worked both. Piler operator at the beet harvest and picker at Amazon. I thought Amazon was much harder and less money per hour.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
did a quick look.. now i see and watched a couple of the videos.. thanks

seem a bit harder that say working at amazon for the same dollars.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
carl2591 wrote:
thank for the info..

how hard/ strenuous was the say ground workers job..

the piler operator job. what does that entail and what kind of past experience is needed or liked.. forklift driver etc. ??

Did you look at the link I posted earlier in this thread?
Fulltiming since 2006

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
thank for the info..

how hard/ strenuous was the say ground workers job..

the piler operator job. what does that entail and what kind of past experience is needed or liked.. forklift driver etc. ??
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Trekker3 wrote:
Carl wrote:
So I am sure that only me if interested in the pay for type of work. is this hourly or daily rate.. i guess its different rate for different job so just what you are sure of is good to know.

also on the campsite fee.. does that include any needed propane or just like elec in a full hook up site.

thanks

The pay is hourly for all work, training etc. I believe. The lowest hourly is around $14 p/hr. You are paid time and a half after 8 hours and all day/night Saturdays, Sundays are double time all day/night. There is a 5% bonus if you stay for the whole harvest, usually around 3 weeks. Safety gear is provided, vest, glasses, helmet, ear plugs etc. Skid steer operators, piled operators, foremen, mechanic/oiler make more per hour.

The campsites are full hook-ups, no propane as far as I know.

Also, if you work the night shift the first season, the second season would be days.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Trekker3

IIRC, the lowest pay rate was for ground helpers, around $10/hr. This is where most folks start. Piler operator was around $14/hr. Skidsteer operator positions were fairly limited.

Premium pay for Sat/Sun worked like this. Whichever day you clocked in, you got the designated premium pay for that day until you clocked out. The pay rate didn't change if your shift straddled 2 days.

Under ideal weather conditions, the harvest could be completed in as little as 10-14 days. Realistically, it lasts longer than that but you don't get paid for non-work days. The main harvest officially starts on Oct 1. The longest I saw a harvest last was until Thanksgiving. I left well before then and I'm not sure what most folks did for water in the campground since the water was turned off due to freezing temps. You don't have to stay for the entire harvest to qualify for the bonus but you must work at least 10 shifts.
Fulltiming since 2006

Trekker3
Explorer
Explorer
Carl wrote:
So I am sure that only me if interested in the pay for type of work. is this hourly or daily rate.. i guess its different rate for different job so just what you are sure of is good to know.

also on the campsite fee.. does that include any needed propane or just like elec in a full hook up site.

thanks

The pay is hourly for all work, training etc. I believe. The lowest hourly is around $14 p/hr. You are paid time and a half after 8 hours and all day/night Saturdays, Sundays are double time all day/night. There is a 5% bonus if you stay for the whole harvest, usually around 3 weeks. Safety gear is provided, vest, glasses, helmet, ear plugs etc. Skid steer operators, piled operators, foremen, mechanic/oiler make more per hour.

The campsites are full hook-ups, no propane as far as I know.

Also, if you work the night shift the first season, the second season would be days.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Trekker3

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trekker3 wrote:
We worked the sugar beet harvest last fall in the Drayton, ND district. You will normally work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. We worked nights 7am to 7pm last year. This year we should be day shift as they trade each year. The work can be dirty, dusty, muddy and cold but we still had a good overall experience. The pay is good and you, as a couple, can earn a good deal of $$ in a fairly short period of time. We earned a 5% bonus for completing the season. We are planning to return again this fall. They pay for all of your campsite fees as well. We met a lot of nice people while there.

thanks
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
We, my wife and I, worked at a place in ND near Grand Forks in 2006. The wx was cold, wet. I would never go back for twice the pay. If you do go stay away from working at a "piler". This is where the trucks come in from the fields and dump the sugar beets. The work can be very hard. Very hard for a woman. If you really need the money, get a job a McDonalds.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Trekker3
Explorer
Explorer
We worked the sugar beet harvest last fall in the Drayton, ND district. You will normally work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. We worked nights 7pm to 7am last year. This year we should be day shift as they trade each year. The work can be dirty, dusty, muddy and cold but we still had a good overall experience. The pay is good and you, as a couple, can earn a good deal of $$ in a fairly short period of time. We earned a 5% bonus for completing the season. We are planning to return again this fall. They pay for all of your campsite fees as well. We met a lot of nice people while there.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
okeefjr wrote:
Looking for any info on skid steer and piler operators at Grand Forks sugar beet . Anyone know of videos showing skid steer and piler operations. We will be working there 2014.

http://sugarbeetharvest.com/index.cfm?content=jobs
Fulltiming since 2006

okeefjr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for any info on skid steer and piler operators at Grand Forks sugar beet . Anyone know of videos showing skid steer and piler operations. We will be working there 2014.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
I worked there the last 3 seasons - 2 as piler operator and 1 as foreman.

I think the OP is looking for a little more information than just roll call. :):):)

There are many here that would like to hear about you experience there.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I worked there the last 3 seasons - 2 as piler operator and 1 as foreman.
Fulltiming since 2006