cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things we should know about storing our camper.

SMGREENE12
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hello!

My husband and I just recently purchased a camper. We have a seasoned person to help us with winterizing. The one thing we need help with is storage. When contacting places should we be asking certain questions? Or what should we be looking for when trying to find a place? Another thing is should we get a cover for the camper and tires? Any tips and trick about storage are welcomed!

TIA,

Stephanie 

5 REPLIES 5

d1h
Nomad III
Nomad III

If you have the space build an RV garage. Best protection and it's right there where you live.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

Hi and welcome. The things I usually look for in a storage place; fairly level, good drainage (gravel or paved - avoid grassy fields), the type of clientele (does it look like a junkyard?, this can bring rodents and bugs), security (fenced, gated), 24 hr access, easy of getting in and out, assigned spaces, spaces large enough to allow access to the RV while parked, ease of backing/parking the RV in your space. We were in a storage area when we owned a FW and the access gate wasn't far enough off the road and it was downright dangerous trying to open the gate with the tail of the FW hanging out on a busy road. 

As far as covering, you'll get differing opinions. I've tried covers in the past and found them more work and risk than value. Tire covers, depends. If you use your RV enough the oils in the tires will keep them in good shape. If it's going to sit a while, especially in the sun, tire covers are a good idea. tires will age out on Rvs before they wear out and sitting and sun exposure are the worst culprits. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Thank You!

I appericiate all the feedback. I wrote down the all the different things to look for when fidning a place. Thanks for sharing about your own personal experience with the gate being to close to the road. 

With the covers do you think they are more work because of just getting them on? I feel like it would give me peace of mind in the end.

Thanks again!

Happy to help. I just found the cover very difficult and sketchy while on the roof to get on and off and I am pretty fit and athletic. Storing the cover when using the RV can be challenging - I used a trash can. But getting it off in the rain or when it's wet just creates a hassle and forget about snow or ice. Mine tore within a few months in the wind on the corner of the RV. They can rub the paint, and in the south tree frogs love to get under the cover. So overall for me, the perceived benefit did not outweigh the hassles. I always keep my Rv washed/waxed after every trip, inspect and caulk the roof every six months and found that's easier and mitigates all the things I mentioned above. Plus - allows me to grab my RV on a whim and hit the road. Some people like covers, especially for long term storage, but I think most people that have tried them share similar experiences as mine. Most RVs sit all over the US at dealer and storage lots without covers and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference of one that's kept covered and one that isn't but well maintained. But to each his own and you can always try it. You're only out the cost of the cover if it doesn't work for you. 

Tire covers on the other hand offer a pretty good benefit that's cheap and easy to put on and take off. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Once again thank you for your time! Definitely keeping what you said in mind! You made valid points.