cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a 2007-2010 GMC 1500 4x4 crew cab for a toad

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about a 2007-2010 GMC Sierra 1500, crew cab, 4x4 for a toad. It will do everything I need to do and is in my price range. Does anyone use one for a toad and have any insight or opinion about this truck? Anything to look out for, any of those years better or worse? Easy to tow, etc? Thanks.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan
10 REPLIES 10

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dreamer wrote:
Again, thanks for the replies.

FIREUP, we're traveling presently, but I'll try to get some pictures of the lift/loader.

dreamer.

Roger that Sir. I'm ready to help when you need. Safe travels.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for the replies.

FIREUP, we're traveling presently, but I'll try to get some pictures of the lift/loader.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dreamer wrote:
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, your input is appreciated.

I purchased a Rampage (ToyTrax) lift to load and carry an '07 Honda VTX 1800. It is an earlier version of the Rampage and slightly different from the new models. I have no installation instructions with it but will figure it out. I kinda got the cart in front of the horse with this purchase but as long as I get a truck with a 6.5 foot bed I'll be OK.

The reason I was looking at a crew cab was I was wanting to have the ability to have seating for 6 people occasionally, for short rides like to a restaurant. (snowbirds) Maybe and extended cab would work or do I need a crew cab?

Are there any major differences between the GMC truck and the Chevy truck? I'm drawn to the GMC for some reason.

Thanks again for all the help.

dreamer.

Dreamer,
The differences between say, the top of the line Chevy and, the top of the line GMC are very little. Both trucks display high quality and high standards. If and when choosing, the one thing you need to do is make sure you're dealing in "apples for apples" type thing. You can't look at a median level Chevy and a high end GMC and compare, it's "apples for oranges" in that case. Now, as for a choice on crew cab vs Extended cab, well, that's simply a looks/fitment deal. And, there's a tab bit more weight involved in the Crew due to the size increase and larger doors.

We are just like you, we have occasional riders that use the back seat in ours. We're not going across the U.S. with that group of people, just as you said, a trip to a restaurant, a mall etc. Short tips are just fine for even larger adults.

If, you're planning on taking extra riders on a more frequent basis, well then you might lean towards the crew cab.

I'd like to see pictures of your specific Rampage toy hauler lift. I've done quite a bit of fabrication and mounting of things like that so, PM me if you might want help in some ideas for setting it up. I attached a 2"x2"x 28" x 1/4" thick angle iron under the front of the bed floor with two, 1/2" x 13 nuts welded to it. Now, when I load the Rampage into the bed, all you see is two holes in the bed floor and those 2 nuts. The Rampage is bolted down in the front with two, 1/2" x 4" x 13 bolts, to those nuts.

The rear or, back end of the Rampage is held in place with three, 5/16 nutserts. There's not much torque in any direction on those so, they did not have to have the "girth" of the larger bolts up front. And, the way I did the install, the wife and I can have that Rampage out of the truck, in just about 1 minute and rolling away on a cart I built for it. The truck is now a truck again. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a crew cab to the ext cab because like you, any 6 person use will be short range and the ext cab 6 person seating works fine. If you want a 6ยฝ' bed in a GM 1500, then you HAVE to stay with the ext cab, as they do NOT offer it in the crew cab. We went from a GMC to a Chevrolet and basically there is no difference.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Very little difference between a Chev or GMC it is just the exterior/interior styling the drive train,engine,suspension etc. is the same. I have had both the extended cab and a crew cab and the crew cab is the way to go ... IMO

Joe

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, your input is appreciated.

I purchased a Rampage (ToyTrax) lift to load and carry an '07 Honda VTX 1800. It is an earlier version of the Rampage and slightly different from the new models. I have no installation instructions with it but will figure it out. I kinda got the cart in front of the horse with this purchase but as long as I get a truck with a 6.5 foot bed I'll be OK.

The reason I was looking at a crew cab was I was wanting to have the ability to have seating for 6 people occasionally, for short rides like to a restaurant. (snowbirds) Maybe and extended cab would work or do I need a crew cab?

Are there any major differences between the GMC truck and the Chevy truck? I'm drawn to the GMC for some reason.

Thanks again for all the help.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dreamer wrote:
I'm thinking about a 2007-2010 GMC Sierra 1500, crew cab, 4x4 for a toad. It will do everything I need to do and is in my price range. Does anyone use one for a toad and have any insight or opinion about this truck? Anything to look out for, any of those years better or worse? Easy to tow, etc? Thanks.

dreamer.

Dreamer,
Well Sir, we tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab, 4x4 with a 6.5' bed. It works flawless. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and Allison MH3000 trans. The coach does great with that in behind it. And, on many of our trips, we carry an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back of it. We use the "Rampage" lift to get the bike into the back which, also works flawless.

Now, the truck weighs exactly 5300 lbs, the bike, right at 900 lbs. and the lift/carrier, close to 275-300 lbs. So, we're running down the road with close to 6500 lbs. following us. The tow bar we're using is rated at, 7500 lbs. Now, that's much not lee-way in terms of additional strength but, it's working fine and get's inspected on a very frequent basis.

So, yep, depending on what your coach is and it's engine, you should have no issues towing your new pickup. As you might already know, just make sure the model you pick IS FLAT TOWABLE! And of course, that can be confirmed by simply checking into the owners manual of the model/year you're considering. It will tell you in that manual, step by step procedures for "Dinghy" towing or, behind a motor home.

There's no need to tell you the procedures for setting it up to tow, find the truck first and then, like stated, read the manual and follow that year/models procedures. Ours does slow us on some grades but, so did our previous toad, an '11 Honda CRV EX-L All Wheel Drive. It's the nature of the beast.

I did the base plate install on the truck and, for the most part, it doesn't get much simpler than what I needed to do for the install. I then did the wiring for the lights. I'm one of those that utilizes the stock tail lights as toad lights. That way, the trucks tail lights act the exact same way when towing it, as they do when someone's driving it. And, it's seriously simple to do it that way. If you'd like help in that matter, PM me and I'd be glad to help. Good luck in your hunt for your new truck and toad.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2009 xtended cab 1500 4x4. Great toad. Be aware that they are heavy. Mine weighs about 6200 lbs.

Moisheh

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Get the 5.3 because the 4.8 is mated with a 4 speed and cant do much with it. But the 5.3 has the 6 speed and is better all around.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 2005 GMC 1500 till it had close to 200K miles on it and now tow a 2011 Chevrolet 1500 as the toad. Makes an awesome toad and allows you to take more "stuff", like an ATV or Rzr with us. Just make sure it has the N position on the transfer case, as there is at least one model transfer case that does not. Also it can not be the AWD model. 2009 and up are the better models, as they made some changes in 2009.

Any specific questions, send me a PM.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today