cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about Buying an RV? PLEASE read before you do.

cblant
Explorer
Explorer
Giant Recreation World Winter Garden FL. or Giant Disappointment? Hurricane Irma devastated our house. Due to mold issues, reconstruction will take months to complete, leaving my family without a home to live in. The fix? The new 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 370fl from Giant Recreation World to live in while re-construction is occurring. After graciously offering to drive the RV to my property, I accepted. It is difficult for myself to do these actions myself due to being a permanently disabled first responder due to injuries received on duty. However, I would have rather hired a teenager with a new permit who recognizes some aspect of humility. The driver which transported the rv to my property hit a grape fruit tree while backing the rv. The rv received some minor damage (mostly scratches) to the left front side and to be honest, I felt sorry for the driver. I even tipped him $20 for his time because accidents happen. I called Giant Recreation World and spoke with the sales manager who informed me to call the next day and talk with Dennis the General Manager. My wife spoke with Dennis concerning the damages. During their conversation my wife asked me to pick up the phone. She told me he was being condescending and demeaning to her because he could not be bothered by our situation. After an introduction I was greeted with a blatant accusation that it was my fault for allowing his driver to collide with the tree with the sarcastic remarks that closely mimicked the attitude of my teenage daughter. I immediately was put on the stand to his questioning as he tried to figure out a hole in the story for which I would be liable for his driverโ€™s actions.
At this point his nonexistent law degree ceased to be a factor and his tone became antagonistic. I tried to alleviate the tension with an apology for the frustration and how this issue could be resolved. His โ€œsolutionโ€, was for me to drive the RV back to their location, and IF they have time, they will get to it. Apparently, the thought process was that camping outside our demolished home was more logical than trying to prioritize a paying customer with a legitimate concern.
I pray that no other individuals have to go through this. We have been able to save friends who thought of retiring and purchasing an RV from Giant Recreation World as they experienced the same red flags through the dealership showroom. It should be noted that in the Better Business Bureau they are NOT accredited. Although their estimated rating shows an acceptable rating, they currently have multiple complaints that are not resolved as well as approximately ZERO positive reviews. Learn from our experience so you donโ€™t fall into the same trap. God Bless.
22 REPLIES 22

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Nice first post. I smell a rat.

OR...the glass is half full. I see a new member off to somewhat rocky start who could use a little compassion in his situation.

Welcome to the forum...hope things go better for you. And thank you for your service.

The glass is half empty for me on this one. The cleaver wording makes me suspect. Nice cut and paste job.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

OR...the glass is half full. I see a new member off to somewhat rocky start who could use a little compassion in his situation.

Welcome to the forum...hope things go better for you. And thank you for your service.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Thee are good and bad dealerships in all lines of merchandise. WE shop not only for product but the dealership as well. WE judge on the customer service as much as price.
scott

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance. Make them pay for your traumatized tree, too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sorry for all the trouble you are having with the destruction and trying to pick up the pieces after the storm. Hope this gave you a smile ๐Ÿ˜‰

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If it is insured call Your insurance and let them handle it. They are better equipped to fight the dealership. If you use your insurance you get to take it anywhere.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

shovelhead86
Explorer
Explorer
The dealership would be required to have insurance on their driver. Then it can be repaired anyplace. If it amounts to much money or inconvenience I would consult an attorney.

Moved from ATC