cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue jack just stopped working

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Barker VIP Tongue Jack. Only 2 years old.

Went camping a few weeks ago and it worked just fine. Just went to pick up the trailer today from storage to bring it home for our trip this weekend and nothing. Wont go up or down. The light works just fine.

I popped the cover off and all the switch wires seems to be attached good. Its the strangest thing. had to go old school and use the manual crank.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Im going over to barker website no and see what I can find out.
Barker is located about an hour south of me. I could be like that old lady in the Discount Tire commercail. ๐Ÿ™‚
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb
17 REPLIES 17

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
DE88ROX wrote:
DavidP wrote:
I also cover mine when stored/traveling. As far as I can tell it is not from moisture that the switch fails. IMO it appears it fails from to much of a current draw and eventually will not close the circuit and remains open. I was told by Barker the new switches are improved. We will see.

I keep mine covered as well. Friends daughter made us both custom/waterproof covers. they cover a lot more of the jack than what you could buy anywhere.
I keep mine covered as well. My Barker jack has been on three trailers, when I buy a new trailer I change out the manual jack for the Barker.

There was a tech tip in TRAILER LIFE about using a cleaned out bleach bottle with the top cut off and a split in the side to cover the jack. Have not tried it.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Got the new switch in the mail in about a week. she's all winterized and put away for the year and the battery in removed. Ill put the new switch in this spring. see what happens.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
If you Have a light try turning the light on and then engage the up/dwn switch. Does the light stay on or go out. If it goes out then look for a loose or corroded connection. Ifit stays lit and bright then probably a switch.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an Atwood tongue jack on my TT. One of the reasons was because I had Atwood electric jacks on a couple of truck campers where there are four jacks each and they never gave me a problem. The switches, cover and I suspect all of the components on my tongue Jack are the same as on the 20 year old jacks on my Lance 880 TC. Gives me a comforting feeling.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Today was Monday. STILL no switch in the mail. Figured I would have it by now since I'm only an hour away (67 miles to be exact) called Barker and they said it was in fact shipped out on the 1st. Gotta love snail mail.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
I also cover mine when stored/traveling. As far as I can tell it is not from moisture that the switch fails. IMO it appears it fails from to much of a current draw and eventually will not close the circuit and remains open. I was told by Barker the new switches are improved. We will see.

I keep mine covered as well. Friends daughter made us both custom/waterproof covers. they cover a lot more of the jack than what you could buy anywhere.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
You did try the fuse and wiggled the wire? The wire wiggle works every time on mine.

If the fuse was blown the light would not work which he said works. Barker sent me two switches so I have a spare. My original switch lasted 6 years.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You did try the fuse and wiggled the wire? The wire wiggle works every time on mine.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone thru two switches and need a third. Moisture is the real problem. They know the switch is the weak point and have failed to correct the problem. Good service is one thing but good engineering is more important. With good engineering you don't need good service. For what those things cost add another $ to the price and provide a better switch.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Just got of the phone with Barker. Switch will be mailed out today.

Lady on the phone seemed really snarky and short. I was about to ask her WTH her problem was, but decided not to since she is standing between me and a new switch.

Hopefully this will fix it.

Stay tuned

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Highly recommend the Barker jacks. Their customer service is the greatest.

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
I called and they had a switch in the mail the same day. Excellent service from Barker.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
Most likely a bad switch. Very common. They will send you a new one for free or at least they did for me. Also make sure it has a good ground on the base connected to the trailer. The fact the light works most likely it does.

Yeah, light works just fine and the ground seems to be solid.
Popped the housing off, and all the gears seem to be intact.

Although, the bigger gear in the back, attached to the actual spindle that runs up and down, I can pull it up just a little bit. There is some play in it, but it doesn't spin freely, which leads me to believe that nothing is sheared/broken.

I have a email into Barker, ill see what they say.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Stay tuned.