cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Totally new To RVing need advice

SMS9758
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2007 Toyota 4runner 4x4 V6 and would like to tow a Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 195RB. The dealer says we will be fine but I am looking for answers from those who have towed before. We plan to use it for trips up to 2000 miles at a time. If the Toyota is ok what do you recommend for a hitch, or stabilizer. Like I said I am totally new to this experience and really need some help from someone who isn't trying to up-sell me. We have been avid tent 8x8' campers for 40 years so this is a big change even though its a little trailer. Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for the information. I think we will replace the oem hitch as recommended and stay local this summer then upgrade our vehicle next summer. Shame we just bought the 4 runner two months ago but live and learn. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Do a couple of shorter local trips and see how you like it. Don't discount the T4R and cancel your plans based on others' personal opinions, you may completely comfortable with it. You are well within the vehicle capabilities. It'll tow it all day long but will need to rev a bit in the hills. Won't hurt anything, some people just don't like high RPMs.

The T4R is a great vehicle, wish I still had mine. Actually considering buying another when the time comes. If you find the V6 struggling but like the T4R otherwise I would (and did) trade up to one with the V8. Not a huge change in power, actually less HP than the V6, but more torque and better gearing made a big difference. It also increases tow ratings up to 7200lbs using the same frame, axles, brakes, suspension etc.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing the right thing, asking for advice.

I saw a Pilot towing a trailer that size at a state park this past weekend. There were two adults, two kids about 8-10, and a golden retriever.

They seemed to do fine but the Pilot looked a bit overloaded. It was also their first trip with the new camper (saw the dad pull the sewer hose out of the box and read the directions) so they probably had nothing to compare it to.

I say you will be fine if you stick around the flat lands of the Midwest, but see how it goes and think about upgrading if you want to venture into the elevations.

Oh, and congrats on your choice of hobby (it's a great one), and have fun!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

SMS9758
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for the information. I think we will replace the oem hitch as recommended and stay local this summer then upgrade our vehicle next summer. Shame we just bought the 4 runner two months ago but live and learn. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
The stock V6 hitch is only bolted to the cross member and is not designed for use with a WD hitch. Get the frame mounted one that came on the V8 model and Lexus SUV or Curt makes a nice aftermarket one (13445?). You can install it yourself with basic tools. Hardest part is getting the stock one off.

^^ What he said is exactly correct. I have owned and towed with both the V6 and V8 4Runners. Personally, I wouldn't want to tow that much with the V6 Runner, but that's me. If you will have many grades where you will be going, you won't enjoy it much.

If you are going to do it, as he said, you MUST get rid of that OEM hitch and put a proper frame hitch on it.

Also, "Dry Weight" is a mythical figure to help dealers convince you your TV is plenty for the TT you are looking at. The TT as you get it from the dealer weighs more than that. That is the weight of an RV with NO accessories at all, no battery, no water, no spare tire, no propane, and maybe even no propane tanks.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a hybrid of similar size and weight with a V6 4Runner for a couple of years. I think you will be fine with that set up as you're well within the TV limits and capabilities but then everyone has a different idea of what they are comfortable with. It worked fine for us but might get tiring for 2k trips. Try it with what you have, then decide.

The V6 engine is strong and has plenty of power. Our old '03 only had the 4sp trans and gearing that wasn't ideal for towing. Toyota recommends locking out overdrive when towing which meant towing in 3rd. It handled the weight but struggled with wind resistance and would get bogged down in the wrong gear. The '07 should have the 5sp which is much better suited. Slightly higher RPMs but better power and MPG. Don't be afraid to let it rev. We eventually traded up to a V8 model which towed with ease.

You will want to use a WD hitch with sway control. The short wheelbase isn't ideal and will benefit from this. The only downside is you'll have to replace the stock factory mounted hitch. The stock V6 hitch is only bolted to the cross member and is not designed for use with a WD hitch. Get the frame mounted one that came on the V8 model and Lexus SUV or Curt makes a nice aftermarket one (13445?). You can install it yourself with basic tools. Hardest part is getting the stock one off.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
BTDT. 4050lb loaded TT. 06 Frontier (same as a Taco) V6 2wd AT. Handling was fine. Just no power. 8.5 mpg on varying terrain. Towed an ION by MacKenzie. Same exact layout and size. Only difference was the ION had 2 axles. That probably attributed to the good handling. Not sure how one axle would affect that. Not as secure would be my guess. Biggest issue was power for hills and mtns. any head wind also killed the fun. OD locked out per manual. Got tired of the whole combo really quick. After 2-3 trips, I traded it in on an 08 F150 Scab 2wd 5.4 3.73. Night and day diff. MPG went up as well. 10.5.
The other negative issue is that running 60mph getting 8.5 and only a 21 gal tank the fuel stops were way to soon. Plus you could easily get into trouble if you don't look for a gas station soon enough.

No way would I want to do 2000 mile trips using the Frontier or Tacoma. But that's just me. I'm just not one to always ending up being stuck behind the slow rigs going up hills cause I can barely pass them.

One other thing that was discouraging on the power issue was when traveling at 65mph there really wasn't much left for power. Didn't really need to go faster anyway, just sometimes you need a little more grunt and it just wasn't there at that speed. If you are content to go 55-60mph on the flats and 35-45 up hills then this would be your combo.

JMO but the Tacoma towing 4000lbs would be fine for trips of 200 miles and on mostly flat terrain.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
It is only my opinion but I would say yes it will tow it but how comfortably will it tow it. Every trailer can be towed the problem is how comfortable how safe. If your 4runner has a hitch on it already ask the dealer to let you take it for a spin. You will know instantly if you like the way it feels or if you feel like the tail wagging the dog. Best guess on my part is your going to get a lot of motion from the trailer pushing the car. Here again just one guys opinion

SMS9758
Explorer
Explorer
So is it possible to tow this with the 4runner. We ususally don't carry a lot of stuff. We have always fit everything for a 2 week trip in our Honda Fit including one of the dogs. We can't upgrade our tow vehicle just yet.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
SMS9758 wrote:
The towing capacity of the 4runner is 5000 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 2800lbs. There are two of us and two dogs, 70 lbs each. Hope this helps.

I believe the 2800lbs is dry weight you can't go by dry weight. You need to figure your going to be carrying all kinds of stuff. And as stated once you put people and dogs in the car your towing capcity goes down.. That 2800lb trailer will ballon to close to 4000lbs when loaded. Maybe more like 3500 but closer to 4 than 2800

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SMS9758 wrote:
The towing capacity of the 4runner is 5000 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 2800lbs. There are two of us and two dogs, 70 lbs each. Hope this helps.

loaded the trailer should weigh under 4,000 lbs. you should be OK and not need a F-550 like some would want you to have.
bumpy

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read this thread. (Click here) You should be able to pick up a lot of pointers. Don't listen to the dealer, when he says you'll be fine. If you can drag the trailer off his lot (that's the easiest tow of all), it's no longer his problem.

Things you'll need to know:

1. Towing specs (payload and tow capacity) on your specific 4Runner.
2. Your specific payload requirements.
3. Somewhat accurate loaded weights on the trailer.
4. Weight ratings on your hitch receiver.

Leave yourself some cushion in the numbers. Pushing the limits on any of your ratings, can make your towing an unpleasant experience.

Don't get tunnel vision on your max tow rating. Soon as you load more than 150 lbs of accessories, people, pets, and cargo, you no longer have that tow rating.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

SMS9758
Explorer
Explorer

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me your going to have a whole lot of trailer. What is the towing capacity and weight capacity of the Runner? That should tell you all you need to know. If it's rated for that much weight then your good to go. All be it not too fast. The trailer loaded should come in at around 4k maybe a little less than that but not much less.