cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow bars and brackets question

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We are full time and have been towing a 20 ft enclosed trailer with a mini cooper inside. With coach, tongue, trailer we are 63 ft. We have had a few problems with tight spots but have found a phone call ahead, and Google helps. We also have "dropped " the trailer in another spot then parked the MH in the cg,rv park.

Here come the questions.
We plan on doing the AlCan this summer for 2 months +/-. We have determined that this set up would not be practical for this trip. We have since purchased a 03 Ranger 4x4 5sp and plan to do this trip 4 down.
What is the best way to proceed? I see a lot of tow bars on craglist, I also see that the brackets for the car/truck to be towed are pretty specific.
Sorry but I have have always been thrifty (cheap). Going new it's 400 for brackets and 700 for the bar. Then you have to add cables, chains,lights and more....and more.
Is it reasonable to buy a used hitch and new brackets. Any hitches to avoid. I also noticed the ranger as front tow hooks, could I have brackets made and bolt them on?
Anything helps and thanks to all!
Jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014
8 REPLIES 8

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
There are several salvage yards that sell towing equipment. There was one in Yuma Az that I looked at but I only needed the baseplates for my ranger. No ones from an explorer will not work. anyhow they were all relatively cheap, but I ended up getting new ones since the local welders do not want to weld anything up anymore such as base plates. Cost was to be a little less and he even recommended going for the brand named ones. We had a falcon towbar that came with the rv just needed base plates. Anyhow as noted above $400 for a mount was a little high wife decided that she did not want to tow the ranger and we ended up with a new car for a towd. The rv came with the tow mount but they were the hidden type for a mini I was going to let the guy weld them up for the ranger, but he kept coming up with excuses that he was busy etc. So get a tow bar and then with the money saved by going used, buy the base plates and be done with it. Expand the search area on craigslist to towns a little way out to give a good idea of whats out there. Generally decent condition tow bars will be less than $200 and you cn find good deals on the brake systems also.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Check Craigslist and Hitch Source for used baseplates and tow bars. I sold my base plates for a 2007 Dodge Dakota on Hitch Source....odd truck, but somebody needed them. There are a lot of people towing Rangers.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
A little story about "making your own"...
I'm a retired sherrif from a large south Fla dept. Spent 8 years as a traffic homicide detective and re-constructionist, Job was to investigate traffic accidents involving death/critical injury and to persue charges against those at fault.
Investigated an accident where a 5 x 10 utility trailer came detached from the tow veh. Trailer then veered into oncomming traffic and was hit head on by a Chevy Cavalier. Driver, wearing seatbelt, was critically injured, but lived. (This was before airbags)
Turns out the trailer was professionally made, but the owner had "re-done" the hitch area, welding a new mount onto the trailer frame. The welds broke, and as the safty chain mounts were on the mount, they didn'd do their job.
Turns out the trailer owner was just a homeowner who had no formal training as a welder, more like "my neighbor showed me".
Needless to say, the guy was just charged with a traffic violation as there was no death involved. But, his insurance co would not pay for anything as the trailer had been altered, alterations were not done by a certifies welder/mechanic.
When the lawsuits setteled, he had nothing left as he was foung at fault and was libel for hospital bills and money he lost as a result of loosing the lawsuit.

So, if you want to "make your own" or have someone cobble one up for you to save a few bucks, than go for it.
Grumpy

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I found a beeeeautiful Roadmaster Falcon SS shaft towbar at an RV place that specializes in toads, (dingy towing) for $200. And they had a bunch to choose from. I just now installed it on my 2nd jeep, making my own base plates for both. If your vehicle has tow hooks, take it to a reputable weld/hitch shop. They will advise, and possibly save you buying expensive base plates.
Base plates are not rocket science, (even tho the price leads us to believe they ar) anymore than installing a receiver hitch on the rear. Any weld shop operator w/ experience doing hitches etc, is capable of getting a towbar connected to a vehicle. If it is beyond his expertise, he will advise.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
This is one area where you don't want to cut corners, meaning trying to "make your own".
The base brackets are usually vehicle specific. Don't go "cheap" here or try to cobble something togather using tow hooks or generic brackets.
As for tow bars, don't "undercut" the proper weight rating bars you need. If your veh weighs 3500 lbs, get a set rated for 5-6 thousand lbs. Always better to err on the side of safety.
If you do find a set of used bars, double and triple check the condition and the welds for any cracks, rust, repairs. If they look like they've been repaired, walk away.
Remember, if your toad comes loose, all kinds of nasty things are going to happen, and it gonna be your responsibility.
Grumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You will need to get the exact brackets for the pickup. Most towbars or brackets have adapters available to converter one brand of brackets to different brand of tow bar.
You can try looking for brackets on craiglist or ebay. Chances are slim. I would go to Blue ox or Roadmasterinc.com and get the correct bracket numbers so you can search better.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry mod notified
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK this forum is for Towing Vehicles not towed vehicles. You'll be better off in the Class A forum for toad questions. And for Alcan there is an Alaska/Canada forum.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper