cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2006+ Honda Element 4-down: Real life experiences?

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing a 2003 Honda Element AWD automatic for about 9 years and over 80K miles without any problems. We LOVE our Element. But alas, the end is near for the old girl, and it's about time to put her down and be looking for a replacement.

I know Honda endorsed the Elements for flat towing during model years 2003-2005 (with specific procedure involving the shifter, etc.), and removed the endorsement for subsequent years. I recall reading on this forum that some folks have been flat towing 2006 and later models, but can find only one testimonial for a 2011 on this forum, and it's for a 2WD. We have found a 2011 Element AWD automatic that we really like and would buy it tomorrow if we were comfortable we could tow it 4-down without causing damage.

So, please let me hear from those with real experience towing 2006+ model years. Let me know if you had any problems or if everything went well, particularly with the drive train. Please also state whether yours is a straight drive, a 2WD vs AWD and 4-speed vs 5-speed transmission. Please do not waste your time telling me what Honda says about towing later model Elements. I know what the company line is.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this topic.
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)
4 REPLIES 4

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I work P/T for a couple of dealers around town and one of them is a Honda. Not sure exactly what year the company changed (I know that is not a lot of help for you!) but even after Honda withdrew their towing endorsement of the Element it was still on the same 'platform' as the CGV which they did endorse. I believe that has again in the last few years ('11 or '12) The service department will tell you that you should not do it, but they have been instructed that in telling you they are the same might result in a law suit if an owner screws up and burns out a tranny.
I don't have info on the AWD. We towed our 03 thousands of miles with no trouble and still keep it around even after we put the Wrangler into service as a towed
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Anyone else have any experience flat towing a late model Honda Element?

Let's hear from you!

footslogger
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 2WD 2011 Element. It's the same drive train as the CRV.

Go for it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what Remco Towing Products says about towing a 2011 model:

"2011 Honda Element LX 4WD I-4 2.4L cyl 5 Speed Automatic MNZA/BZKA

Notes
โ€ขTowable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
โ€ขIt is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
โ€ขWhen towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
โ€ขOfficially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable."

This is the same statement they say about nearly every Honda that is towed.
So based on this non-approved approval, I would say the Element is towable. Also from a mechanical standpoint the Element and the CRV have the same driveline components and all CRV's are towable up to 2014, but not the 2015.