cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Mini Cooper S

RolH
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on towing a Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper Works aero kit on a tow dolly.

I was wondering if anyone is out there having a Mini as a toad. And if so if he has some recommendations or experiences to share.

Planning on buying a KarKaddy SS or KarKaddy 3.

Thanks for any suggestions.
10 REPLIES 10

RolH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks AprilWhite for all the tips and pics. Yes safety chains are a no-brainer. Just wondered how easy one can access to attach. unbolting the ramps and using blocks is probably the wisest thing to do to avoid damaging the aero kit.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear, we unbolted the ramps and set them on blocks to load the car. This kept the ramps from kicking up and damaging the aero kit. We kept the ramps and blocks in the boot while traveling.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
We always use safety chains or cables when towing. Just a no-brainer to have a backup in case of failure. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm short so had no problem getting into my GP. I sure miss that car! But we sold it in order to buy the Clubman that is in my sig. Just seemed sacrilegious to flat tow a GP. ๐Ÿ˜‰
OR
Pick one

RolH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much AprilWhine. This pics are great and my wife now is more confident that her Mini can be towed on a dolly without damage. OK, with some precautions as blocks to help flatten the angle of the ramp while loading and unloading.

Did you install also the safety chains? As your GP is even lower, that must have been hard to get to.

Roland

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer

The above pictures show us towing a Mini GP (aero kit plus lower suspension) behind our Toyota FJ Cruiser. We moved it from VA to NV this way.

We had to modify the tow dolly so as to not damage the car. We used wooden blocks to load the car, then removed and stored the ramps and blocks during travel. This was a Demco tow dolly.
OR
Pick one

RolH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for your replies. Sorry, forgot to mention year and tranny. It's a 2013 auto. And also thanks for mentioning the steering wheel lock part. Checked, and, no, steering wheel does not lock. But checked Demco, they have a Steering Wheel Strap.

Measuring the angels, I was prepared to have some blocks, wood or other, to put under the ramp to get a better approach angel avoiding damaging the front spoiler. My wife is simply crazy with this car and I have to admit that I really, really enjoy driving the Mini. It's so much fun.

Funny part is, we had a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and sold it early this year because we had given up on buying a Motorhome. But changed our plans now and bought a 2013 Newmar Baystar 3002 last week.

RPagington
Explorer
Explorer
Is your mini an auto or manual? Also what year is it? I towed my 2005 many years on a tow dolly and never had a single problem. I now have a 2008, only towed it once but had a few problems. First is no steering lock. On the Kar Kaddy you have to lock the steering. I solved that with bungee cords but it was not easy to find places to hook them to. Second problem was I had anti lock brake errors when I pulled it off the dolly. After I parked it and went to drive it again they were gone and I have not looked into what happened.

Ralph
2006 Sightseer
2008 Mini Clubman
Ralph Pagington
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R, Yellow Mini in tow

DeanLinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
RolH:

We tow a 2013 MINI Cooper S, manual tranny equipped, four down. I had a Blue Ox base plate installed on the MINI and it works great, so far. We have towed a Miata and a Jeep Wrangler previously--both four down. We also towed a PT Cruiser, automatic, on a KarKaddy SS for four years with no issues.

Our MINI Cooper S does not have the JCW aero packages, but I don't think that would be an issue for you. One issue you may have with a JCW aero packaged MINI would be loading it on the KarKaddy dolly as the dolly's ramp angle is fairly steep. The MINI's front over hang is quite short so it may not be a problem, but worth checking out before purchase.

The KarKaddy SS is a well engineered, well built product. You cannot go wrong with it. I just sold mine earlier this year as it was no longer needed.

Either way, four down or on a dolly, a MINI Cooper is a great, kick-ass toad. Enjoy and be safe.
Dean L
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W--Cat 330 power
2013 MINI Cooper S Hatchback
Blue Ox towing package

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
you can put that in your glove box! LOL

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum