cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Advice

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 3.5L Ecoboost. Per the door sticker, its payload is 1670 pounds. I have always used a Equalizer hitch

Prior to this past summer I had a 2014 28RBS Cougar that had Dry Weight of 6700 pounds and a hitch weight of 955 pounds. This combination towed perfectly. Close to 6000 miles without an issue.

This summer we purchased a 2020 Sporttrek Touring312VBH. Dry Weight of 7800 pounds and hitch weight of 1,020 pounds. Using same tow vehicle and same hitch.

The experience towing between the two is night and day difference. The dealer re-setup the hitch but that may be where my issue is. Nothing to do with power, I just feel much less stable and feel the trailer tossing me all of the road.

Could it be the hitch? Would I be better of going to an Anderson? Could the hitch just need further adjustments? Is this relatively minor increase in trailer size enough to warrant me needing a larger tow vehicle?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marc
18 REPLIES 18

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Another thing to check is tire pressures. Close to gross vehicle comnination would need tires maxed out on air.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgum wrote:
It is most likely you have exceeded the capacity of the tow vehicle.

Could be a combination:
- How many people and what cargo is in the truck?
- How is the hitch set up.

Since you have the rig already, next time out (fully loaded ready for camping), swing by a CAT scale and get the real weights. Take the time to get 3 weights:
- Hitched with the WDH connected.
- Hitched with the WDH disconnected.
- Unhitched just the truck.

The compare that to the weight ratings to see where you really stand.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is most likely you have exceeded the capacity of the tow vehicle.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it could be hitch or truck setup.
What is make and model of hitch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker