Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing experts....

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
Need a nudge one way or another.

I have a 2014 3500 dodge dually....27K GVCW and 18,500 towing limit. With extra passengers and stuff in the truck the towing limit will be closer to 18,200.

RV I am likely to get is a Grand Design Solitude that says GVW of 16K and 2650 tongue weight.

So far so good.

My truck presently has a BW turnover ball system for my horse trailer. We are likely to go on the road full time with this setup within a couple years.

I was set to pull the trigger on a used trailer saver BD3 rated at 18K. But then I have to deal with installation of the rails around the turnover ball. I am sure there are specific kits for this.

Now I am leaning toward the BW companion rated at 20K... Much easier to install since the turnover ball is already in place. I know these are said to ride well but I do like the concept of the air cushion as a damper between the TV and RV.

So I am sort of leaning toward the companion hitch and one of those Lippert air flex pin box replacements. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems like that combined with the companion hitch should be a good working solution.

Our plan is likely to drive a day or two....and mostly find places to stay 10-20 days at a time.

Thanks and looking forward to as much input as possible.

Greg
Whidbey Island WA
12 REPLIES 12

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you already have the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch in the truck, the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch makes the most sense.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
They should....they are on Amazon...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ab7r wrote:
Thanks....looks like that is how i will probably go.

You may want to call Lippert and see if they have any TrailAire air bag pin boxes left.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks....looks like that is how i will probably go.

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have the B&W Companion and a Trailair pin box and the ride is great.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ab7r wrote:
We have to go look at a new 2017 artic fox 32 ft TT tomorrow before making any decisions. Wife prefers the 5er because of a bit more livability long term....i like not losing the truck bed and the fact that the TT is about $20k less expensive and its a quality rig.

Listen to the Wife! 5er is a much better choice for full timing.

The B&W Companion will work great for you. I used the 18K model towing our 07 MS with 11 RAM Dually..
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
We have to go look at a new 2017 artic fox 32 ft TT tomorrow before making any decisions. Wife prefers the 5er because of a bit more livability long term....i like not losing the truck bed and the fact that the TT is about $20k less expensive and its a quality rig.

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Why not get the b&w companion? 20,000 GTW

I think that is how we are going to go.

Ab7r
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input so far everyone. We just got home from looking at the 5er and we are probably going to get it. It is a 34 foot Solitude by Grand Design. It already comes with the Lippert Kingpin box but the lower one with just the rotoflex feature. Don't know how effective those are by themselves.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get the b&w companion? 20,000 GTW

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
A set of rails with custom brackets only runs $200 on etrailer, and I installed mine myself in an afternoon. I use a rail mount Andersen and I love the gooseneck style smoothness and performance over rough terrain without the downsides of a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel. I do prefer a rail setup (or pucks) to the turnover ball systems but you'd probably be fine with one - the reviews I've read on them are overwhelmingly positive.

I haven't used an air style hitch so I can't really comment on how they compare, but if that's the way you want to go I wouldn't let the rail installation dissuade you - it's really an easy job.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air ride pin boxes are worth every penny of their cost. Pulled our current fiver for about a year before switching. Would not ever tow without one again.