Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing extension

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
We have just bought a new A Class previously had a C Class
When we went to put the tow bar on new vehicle realized it did not reach past the back of the RV Had to add an extension to get clearance.
Now we are being told that by adding the extension we have cut our tow capacity in half Anyone else heard this and if it is true can we correct it by welding pieces together?
7 REPLIES 7

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Allegro 35QBA using a Blue Ox Tow bar Avanti
Think what was told to us was hitch weight not towing weight
Think we might get bar pieces welded together because there is some give

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of brand and model of motorhome?? What kind of tow bar??? Pics would really help!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
are you using a ball type of tow bar or the type that mounts and stays on the back of the motorhome? if the first type, as slightly longer one will solve your problem, if the second, you will need to get as short an extension as will work. and I don't think it will be cut in half, more like a third?
bumpy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said, an extension will lower the tongue weight capacity, but not the towed weight capacity, as long as the extension is rated at least the same as the receiver hitch. Tongue weight of course, is not an issue when towing four-down. There are devices available to minimize any additional play the extension adds.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
trtog7 wrote:
We have just bought a new A Class previously had a C Class
When we went to put the tow bar on new vehicle realized it did not reach past the back of the RV Had to add an extension to get clearance.
Now we are being told that by adding the extension we have cut our tow capacity in half Anyone else heard this and if it is true can we correct it by welding pieces together?

trtog7,
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Reach past the back of the RV". I'm assuming it means that your receiver, mounted on the coach, does not protrude enough to allow for the tow bar coupler and there could be interference problems. So, in that case, an "extension" is needed. Now, who ever told you it reduces the towing capacity by half is not fully educated on the subject.

There are many extensions out there. Some raise the tow height, some lower it, some are just straight out. How they are constructed can make a difference. The one we have raises the tow height by 4" and is seriously strong and solid. We tow our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which, is loaded with a "Rampage" lift and, a GL 1800 Honda Goldwing in the back. The truck weighs 5300 lbs., the lift, right at 280-300 and the Goldwing, right at 900 lbs. So, we're toating about 6500 lbs. down the road with an "Extension". I'm not worrying in the least about that.

You just have to know and trust your equipment. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of extensions affecting towing capacity when using a tow bar.
If towing anything that adds tongue weight it does.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a rating listed on the extension. I use a 12". I believe mine said 5000lb load. I only use it on light cargo trailers. Would be a little leery of towing anything heavy with it. It does add some slop to the whole system.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo