cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Jayco 23mb with Suburban 1/2 ton?

shedhorn
Explorer
Explorer
New guy here, looking for advice from those more experienced.

I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban half ton, 3.73 rear end and 5.3L V8. My tow capacity is 7000 lbs. We like the Jayco 23mb TT, gvwr = 6500 lbs.

We live in MT and plan to camp around the northern Rockies. Curious is anyone has input on how our tow vehicle will work with this trailer.
17 REPLIES 17

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
shedhorn wrote:
bikendan wrote:
shedhorn wrote:

I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban half ton, 3.73 rear end and 5.3L V8. My tow capacity is 7000 lbs. We like the Jayco 23mb TT, gvwr = 6500 lbs.

We live in MT and plan to camp around the northern Rockies. Curious is anyone has input on how our tow vehicle will work with this trailer.

i have a 2007 Avalanche, essentially a Burb with a truck bed.
i also have the 5.3 with the 3.73 rear end.

you should be fine with that trailer.
i tow my HTT that weighs around 5500lbs. loaded, thru the Sierras, Cascades, Siskyous nad Rockies with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing that loaded the trailer will be closer to 6000 lbs. That will be under capacity but I always assumed it's better to not max out. Plus I know I'll have to watch my payload with kids, gear, tongue weight, etc.

We need an suv but I'd prefer to keep this rig and not get a 3/4 ton burb.

I was ready to post it will be all about your payload, but you have already done your homework!!! Lol

As you know, just watch how you load and you will probably be ok pending the total family weight and cargo in the Burb. Once loaded a visit to the CAT scales wouldn't hurt. Even a visit with just the family and what you hope to carry in the Burb to know just what your fully fueled, loaded Burb weighs without a tt.

Get a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Euqal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the price. A side mounted sway control would probably work, but usually needs to be removed when making sharp turns, especially when backing up. The 3 wdh's I mentioned do not require anything to be removed when backing or making very sharp turns.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

shedhorn
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
shedhorn wrote:

i tow my HTT that weighs around 5500lbs. loaded, thru the Sierras, Cascades, Siskyous nad Rockies with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing that loaded the trailer will be closer to 6000 lbs. That will be under capacity but I always assumed it's better to not max out. Plus I know I'll have to watch my payload with kids, gear, tongue weight, etc.

We need an suv but I'd prefer to keep this rig and not get a 3/4 ton burb.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
shedhorn wrote:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes