cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing weight limits

M_A_Taylor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a relatively new to us 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N. It's docs say that it's towing weight limits are 5000 pounds with a 350 tongue weight. What does that mean exactly?

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 that I have towed about 5000 miles already with a Blue Ox tow bar. A quick internet search says the truck weighs about 5500 pounds.

We also have a Subaru Forrester XT that has to be towed on a trailer. The trailer car combo will weigh a little over 5700 pounds.

Am I making a serious mistake towing either of these setups?? Thanks for any help you can provide.
My opinion is free, and it's worth every penny.

Matt Taylor
100% Disabled Combat Veteran
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4
19 REPLIES 19

M_A_Taylor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info everyone. So far we have been on 2 trips and have towed the truck both times. From Oklahoma to North Carolina and back, and we have just returned from Troy Montana. On the Troy trip we crossed the divide at over 6000 feet. No issues at all towing the truck, the Sightseer took the mountains just fine.

I will however check into an upgraded hitch. Thanks again!
My opinion is free, and it's worth every penny.

Matt Taylor
100% Disabled Combat Veteran
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would tow the truck with no worries.
In fact, I do. See sig.
However, I would have second thoughts about the Subie on a trailer.
As for the "80% rule", it seems to be a "Rule Of Thumb" thought up by some safety guru. The only place I have ever seen reference to it is on these forums. I ignore it. IMO, the manufacturer has already put a safety factor in his numbers. While I don't know what that safety factor is, I am sure the Mfg. kept it in mind when assigning the ratings. There is always a huge difference between "working load" and "failure load"!
NOTE: I did NOT say you should go ahead and tow your truck. I simply said I tow mine, no more, no less!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer/car combo is definitely out of your range, the tongue weight alone will be in the area of 900 pounds. As for the pickup, the tongue weight is fine as it is effectively zero. However, if you actually weigh your truck I think you will find that it weighs more than 5500 pounds. I would not be towing either of these outfits, your MH setup is not big enough. Now, it is possible that you are limited by the class 3 hitch and going to a class 4 or 5 will allow you to tow either of these units, but the only way to know for sure is to take the MH to a reputable hitch installer and have them look the MH over to see if there are other mitigating factors with the MH itself, if not the increased hitch rating will cure your problem.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The limits mean you should not be towing a weight load that exerts more than 5,000 lbs of pressure in a straight line pull behind the hitch, or a 350 lb pressure down on the hitch. The common thinking is to limit loads to no more than 80% of those values.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you bought the wrong motor home if you wish to tow either one - you need to get under 5,000
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks