cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing wrangler battery questions

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
First time towing. When towing a wrangler what do you do to keep the wrangler battery from running down (key turn enough to release locked steering wheel).

David
12 REPLIES 12

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Owners manual is wrong. Transfer case in N and tranny in P, key off and away you go!! This is only for 2008.5 and later without locking steering wheel.

Will
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I use an RVI2 braking system with no charge circuit and have not run the battery down in 3 1/2 years. 2014 Wrangler..........
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
No one really answered the question about keeping battery from running down. When the ignition is off there should be no drain on the battery. If you are using an outlet in the jeep to power an auxiliary brake the only time you are using power is when or after the brake has been activated. Using a brake buddy I have towed for as long as 4 days without starting the towed vehicle and have never run the battery down to the point it would not start, I never even think about it anymore
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There has been an error in the Wrangler OM for a few years. To tell if you have a steering wheel lock simply try turning the steering wheel a full turn and back with no key in the ignition. It will be hard to turn since the power steering is not operating but can be done. If the wheel turns there is no reason at all to leave the key in ACC. And of course it has to be a 4 X 4 model with the TCase in neutral and tranny in park.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
The guide that came with my 2017 wrangler says to turn key to accessory when hooking up. It also says to reconnect the battery after towing. Jeep has been no help, but the manual that is only available on the internet doesn't mention either one of those items.I haven't towed mine yet but it is set up to do so. I'll follow instructions from the manual i downloaded from the internet. I use a brake buddy and to power it I have to plug it into an outlet in the console that is always "hot". The outlet in the dash is only on whern the ignition is "on" or in "ancessory" position.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
2017 has no steering lock, so no need to leave key in the vehicle.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...duh on hubby!

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your 2017 Wrangler doesn't need a key to unlock the steering as there is no steering lock.

I use a battery charge line from the 7 pin RV connector fused 12V pin on our RV, wired through a 20amp circuit breaker directly to my Wranglers battery. You can see the battery charge line in the following diagram from my supplemental brake system installation guide...

UTB Install Diagram
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
2017 wrangler

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I run my engine a short time when I fuel up.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

newlee
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info. Year???
I tow a 95 Wrangler. Much different than todays version.
Dan & Pat Newhall
Central California
2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3353
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
1995 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 Toad
1995 Jeep Wrangler Toad (KISA RCK}