cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer brake

klinky
Explorer
Explorer
just bought a new 2014 ram 2500 never noticed no intergrated brake control in it what happens when I pull my trailer
12 REPLIES 12

klinky
Explorer
Explorer
thank you everyone problem solved dealer is ordering and installing. will look like it came from factory I can sleep tonite

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
I am new to all of this postings so please bare with me any ideas what can I do

Being new is good. But don't tow without a brake controller. Prodigy makes a good unit and most are plug and play so it is easy to install.

Yes, the Tekonsha line of controllers can be made "plug and play" but you need the optional pigtail for your Dodge. You need to buy 2 things; the Tekonsha controller of your choice (P2, P3, etc) and the Tekonsha pigtail (adapter) for your truck and then you can plug everything in. Go to the Tekonsha website and it will give you the part number for the pigtail you need to plug in the controller.

You may also be able to go with an integrated system like the Dodge guys posted above, but you'll have to look into that, I don't know anything about that. Good that you're asking all these questions beforehand.

I have the 2014 Ram with the integrated trailer brake and I can tell you it works VERY good. If you can get the factory unit and have it installed I would recommend that route.

That said I have also used the Tekonsha P3. It's an awesome controller. It's easy to install and setup and it works GREAT.

You won't go wrong with either route.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
klinky wrote:
...any ideas what can I do

Yes, get a brake controller installed.

Prodigy or the P3 (both by Tekonsha)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:

Being new is good. But don't tow without a brake controller. Prodigy makes a good unit and most are plug and play so it is easy to install.

Yes, the Tekonsha line of controllers can be made "plug and play" but you need the optional pigtail for your Dodge. You need to buy 2 things; the Tekonsha controller of your choice (P2, P3, etc) and the Tekonsha pigtail (adapter) for your truck and then you can plug everything in. Go to the Tekonsha website and it will give you the part number for the pigtail you need to plug in the controller.

You may also be able to go with an integrated system like the Dodge guys posted above, but you'll have to look into that, I don't know anything about that. Good that you're asking all these questions beforehand.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
if you go to ramforumz.com there are several post about where to buy the factory one on line costs about 100-125 for parts directly from a ram dealer plus there are step by step photo install pics many of us have added it takes about 15 min.then have it flashed next time you're at the dealer

klinky
Explorer
Explorer
thanks just spoke to dealer-salesman waiting to hear back from him probably what you said

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to get one that is made specifically for your truck, given that it is very new. Factory units plug in to a socket inside the cab and then the dealer typically does a small bit of magic with their computer to get it fully integrated.

- Randy
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

klinky
Explorer
Explorer
thank you everyone for your help check it out the AM

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

klinky
Explorer
Explorer

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
X2. You need a brake controller before you tow anything more than 2-3K lbs. The integrated brake controllers, while optional, are ordered on almost all 2500 on dealer lots around here. Enjoy your new truck.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
just bought a new 2014 ram 2500 never noticed no intergrated brake control in it what happens when I pull my trailer

The truck stops both the trailer and the truck. You need a controller.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.