cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer disconnect message

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
As we pulled out of our driveway, a trailer disconnect message appeared on tv screen. Tv manual said to turn off tv, replug the power cord and start up again. Message disappeared. As we were driving through campgrounds looking for sites, trailer disconnect messsage appeared several times, with trailer connected message also appearing.
Electrically challenged here, but wondering where to start looking for this problem?
2012 F-150 XLT,screw, EcoBoost-3.5 liter, Heavy Duty, payload 2400
2014 Rockwood 2604WS, Equalizer head
12 REPLIES 12

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
IPegasus wrote:
Oxygen,
Refer to my post on 6/23/15 for a possible cure.
ipegasus

Thanks, will check the ground out.
Del

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
Oxygen,
Refer to my post on 6/23/15 for a possible cure.
ipegasus
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made it home without any disconnect messages. I did use small screw driver and bent outside portion of tt 7 pin probe inward. Will still try to check out the brake wiring. thanks again for the suggestions.

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue. Problem was a chafed brake wire on the trailer axle. Road vibration caused the wire to short-out on the trailer frame intermittently and I would get the "brake disconnect" signal.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Dielectric grease is actually a NON conductive grease. Best used to seal out moisture. Noalox might be a better choice. That's what I use on my plugs from the TT to the power post etc.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar experience disconnect warning that turned out to be a nearly cut electric brake wire, about one strand left. The wire was routed near the spring/axle u-bolt on the axle and the movement of the axle would short out the exposed wire giving the disconnect message. The cut was hard to see by just sliding under the trailer to inspect while on the road. The wire finally completely broke in two, giving a continuous disconnect message. Long story, short: check your brake wiring integrity and connections on your trailer.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 7 pin plug seems secure and tigh.

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did spray the tt cord with a dielectric spray and when I hooked up for the first time follwing the spray, seemed to not have a good electrical connection. Made me wonder if that was a good idea to use this type of spray.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Use electrical contact cleaner then a dab of dielectric grease that has worked on my 2008 F450 over the years.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
MNRon wrote:
How secure is the 7-pin connector?

Agreed...

On some PINS you can take a very small screw driver and "open" the pin a bit. Do NOT over open, just a slight gap.

EDIT: Mark, how'd you get there before me :h

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
to me it sound like dirty plug on the truck or trailer
I would clean them up and make sure when you plug the in there tight.
clean the with a little brakeclean and the spray them with little wd40
also on the trailer plug you can take a little screwdrive flat blade and go on the out side of the pin and push them forward to the center of the plug to tight them up
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
How secure is the 7-pin connector?
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK