cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

has anyone removed their awning? is there a simple way?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
in 10 years of RVing, we've never used the awning. we opened it a time or 2 to inspect it.

i would love to remove lag screws to unattach vertical elements and then simply slide the 13' awning tube out of its rail (see sig pic). at a samboree, a tech presenter said it was that simple. but youtube vids show awning is not fully unsprung and it is quite complicated to take off.

i want to store it for possible replacement in future.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy
19 REPLIES 19

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We also never put out our awning. Most of the places we stay, no one else has their awning out either.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
I removed mine by hitting the metal roof of a bus stop, sticking out into the road way. Came off too easily!

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed mine at 60mph in a wind storm. Came off pretty easily.....
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreamer67 wrote:
One of the first things I removed from my trailer was the awning and its frame. I never use it, so I've got it under an overhang behind the house in case anyone wants it in the future.

Anyway, why haul around 75 pounds of stuff that isn't used but can cause damage to old bridges, leaks, fuel-sapping wind resistance and the potential for deploying like a popgun on the Interstate?

i did not realize i was making so many good moves! they make good sense, thanks.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer

taken w/ my hitech cosumer cellular doro flip phone (i love it).

it cleaned up easy, and i caulked in lag screw holes.

spray painted rusty wheel hubs velspar sage brush.

am repairing the 4 yr old 24'x12' shed since water got under tin around perimeter and did some rotting of 2x12 side beams. am removing 2x12 across back and extending roof w/ 2' cantilever. this will give more ease of parking, as dimensions were barely bigger than 22'8" trail lite. martha commeted that rear view mirror view is much improved. i just like less clutter,

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first things I removed from my trailer was the awning and its frame. I never use it, so I've got it under an overhang behind the house in case anyone wants it in the future.

Anyway, why haul around 75 pounds of stuff that isn't used but can cause damage to old bridges, leaks, fuel-sapping wind resistance and the potential for deploying like a popgun on the Interstate?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
if it had been a custom order, that is likely the 1st thing i'd have scratched off. i guess i prefer a less cluttered look.

it does make some rattling sounds that add to one of our dog's riding anxiety. but it has created roof leaks where front 2 lag screws attach, and i have had to caulk the area now going on a 3rd time (when the carpet just behind passenger seat directly below screws gets damp).

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm missing the point here, if you never use it, (which I can't think of one trip where we DIDN'T use it), then what's the difference if it just stays in place & ignore it, save yourself the unnecessary bother. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all of yoy. after 10 yrs, it is finally gone!.

it was easy doing just as you guys laid it out. released lever and extended about 6" awning slack, and once nail pins were in, one screw holding fabric to rail was out, and saw it would slide out of rail freely, i went up and held awning at mid point while martha finished removing last lag screws on both legs. w/ legs free, i could slide awning forward with martha minding front leg. as rear leg got to me, i came off ladder to grab the rear leg as we completed walking it out of its rail. we tried to minimize it, but the awning could probably have hung from the fabric in its rail.

the rail and roof-meete-sidewall trim strip parallel to and just below the rail strip all cleaned up real nice. the 8 lag screw holes will need dicor filler.

is there a proper way to detail the covering such holes?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is almost that simple.

Remove arms (Caution one arm will be spring loaded on the roller this one will make like a propeller if you are not careful,, there is a way to lock it)

Slide the fabric out of the roller tube and store.. NOTE: Fabric is in two tracks on the tube so remove carefully.

Note also.. Some put a screw in one of those tracks to keep it from sliding. Remove screw first.

At the top end you may also find a screw or two.. Remove

Now the fabric is splined into a channl.. Two choices

One (What I did) Spread the channel a bit either before or aft of the fabric,, Slid it toward the wide spot and out -or-

2: Remove the spline if you can then pull the fabric out

Fold or roll fabric, Seal all holes and job done.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
or you could do what I did which is drive too close to the side of an old rusty steel bridge!

with all the totally unwise things i've done with the rv, for some reason i haven't gotten to that one :), but give me some time.

i am putting in order my understanding of the steps to remove the A&E (hopefully w/ less trauma).

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
or you could do what I did which is drive too close to the side of an old rusty steel bridge!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's an A&E Sunchaser- on the ratchet end, just tie the lever in the extend position. On the other end, you can see the small hole on the endcap, just below the bailing wire. On most there will be a nail hole on the ratchet end as well, which can be used.
The only reason I do not pin both end at the start is so you do not have to keep the arms aligned while removing.
-- Chris Bryant

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
martha got these pics. label says A&E Systems - i cannot find a odel # in papers.

back end

overall

screw in fabric to rail

bailing wire where I AM GUESSING? pin/nail goes

front end shots