cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV is "tracking"

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
New truck and new trailer...truck is tracking or pulling when I am towing.
Its pretty much constant, pulling left, pulling right, constantly having to countersteer.

TV is a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl 4x4, tow cap is 6500 lbs. I am towing a 2015 Heartland TrailRunner SLE 22 with a weight of 4350 lbs.

It doesn't matter if it is empty or full of gear it still pulls...any ideas?
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22
67 REPLIES 67

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
willi4nd wrote:
Pro series WD and a Curt sway bar.

My dealer showed me how to set up the WD bars, basically to adjust so TV and TT are level and to make sure the distance is the same on front and rear tires of the truck.

Don't think your dealer knew much of what he was doing. The front should be back to the distance it was unhooked, Or REAL close to it. Looking at your pic. Your TV is sitting too low in the rear, and too high in the front.

Also. A too tight sway control bar can cause the TV to pull to one side. But usually it changes side depending on your last turn.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
My dealer showed me how to set up the WD bars, basically to adjust so TV and TT are level and to make sure the distance is the same on front and rear tires of the truck.

Yeah we need to see it..

1. How many links on the chains do you use?
2. Are the bars parallel with the trailer frame after you engage the chains?
3. How many chain links are left from where you hook them on down to the bar? ( Should be 5 min)
4. what weight bars did they sell you? ( 1000 lbs are needed IMO)

There are 11 links total, I am on the third link from the end per my dealer

They are parallel after I engage

2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer

Yeah we need to see it..

1. How many links on the chains do you use?
2. Are the bars parallel with the trailer frame after you engage the chains?
3. How many chain links are left from where you hook them on down to the bar? ( Should be 5 min)
4. what weight bars did they sell you? ( 1000 lbs are needed IMO)
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
TW says 530 here.. I bet your up in the 700 area with full prpane, batteries and cargo under the bed and in storage compartment..

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/travel/trail-runner-sle/tr-sle-22
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Pro series WD and a Curt sway bar.

2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
take pics of your WD hitch from a few angles with the trailer hooked up and we will be able to tell you more..
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Light on the front end.. I can tell in the pic your squating bad..

As said WD hitch not set up correctly..

Is that a dry weight of 4300 for the trailer? Thats a lot of weight..

Mine is that wet. I pull with the s10 but I have only a 420 TW and a giant.. I mean giant trans cooler...

With WD whick I have right on the money, my front end is restored to original weight and TW down to 340...
Mike L ... N.J.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Weight distribution hitch not set up correctly.
What make and model of WD hitch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker