cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded F150 tires to E

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably nothing to most of you... but i put new tires on the F150 and went with Michelin Defender LTX, which comes in both D & E, I chose the E. I don't recall what tire the truck had, somebody had suggested it was B range... but IDK.

I'm only towing a 5k trailer, but what a difference this tire upgrade made. Used to be if a semi blew past me at 10 over my speed, or a full size truck at 20 over my speed (65mph), I'd feel a little wiggle. NOTHING, NADA, now! There's also less bounce with and without the load leveling bars.

Without a trailer, the tires are slightly noisier, and slightly rougher ride.

We're doing a big trip soon, and while the old tires with 50k miles on them still had lots of wear left, I didn't want to tow the trailer a long distance and possibly in snow with those tires.
17 REPLIES 17

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Probably nothing to most of you... but i put new tires on the F150 and went with Michelin Defender LTX, which comes in both D & E, I chose the E. I don't recall what tire the truck had, somebody had suggested it was B range... but IDK.

I'm only towing a 5k trailer, but what a difference this tire upgrade made. Used to be if a semi blew past me at 10 over my speed, or a full size truck at 20 over my speed (65mph), I'd feel a little wiggle. NOTHING, NADA, now! There's also less bounce with and without the load leveling bars.

Without a trailer, the tires are slightly noisier, and slightly rougher ride.

We're doing a big trip soon, and while the old tires with 50k miles on them still had lots of wear left, I didn't want to tow the trailer a long distance and possibly in snow with those tires.

Glad you are happy with the LRE tires. When I went from P rated tires to LRE tires on my Tundra years ago I was expecting a big improvement towing. I couldn't tell the difference. Even when I went to the bigger trailer and I towed with P rated winter tires vs the LRE tires I didin't notice a difference either. Glad you are happy and notice an improvement, I just never did.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
New tires are always a wonderful addition to every vehicle. If I was made of money I'd probably get a new set every year just because I could. That said, proper LT tires, ideally E rated, are a must for me. C vs. E range is pretty much a no brainer. I'm not surprised one bit that you are happier with your LT rated tires vs. the P metric tires they replaced.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of 150s using E-rated tires for load carrying/towing. I am curious what air pressure you are using for towing. I have a friend using Es on his 150, and I think he runs 55 front 65 rear when towing. Personally, I would have purchased the Ds, if given the choice, and run them at max on the rear, when towing. JMO, and surely opinions vary. Glad yours are working for you, and your towing improved.

Jerry