cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD hitch suggestion based on my specs

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to tow home my new TT within the next few weeks.
In the process of getting everything squared away before our 200 mile trip to the dealer, we purchased from when we went to the Hershey show last fall. They've been storing it for us for the winter.

I would like to get a WDH that allows backing up and also prevents sway. I read that some only reduce sway?

The trailer is 6800GVW and has a UVW tongue wt of 700. Others here have suggested (via my other threads) that I may end up about 1000lbs TgWt when loaded. So, I would like a WDH with variable load range.

My 2016 f250 has a 2" receiver, PL of 2950, a TC about 12.5k and WDH cap of 1250lbs.

I *think* I would like to purchase either a Reese 66084 or a Reese 66088.

Not really sure if there is a difference other then Round bars or Trunnions. I've read rounds are easier to deal with but trunnions give you more clearance - which prob will be irrelevant for me.

Would either of these 2 WDH be acceptable or would another be more appropriate for my situation?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

llr
Explorer
Explorer
I like the blue ox sway pro, it is quite and easy to setup, no need to remove to backup.

for your truck and trailer anything would probably be ok, either a sway control hitch or friction bar(s). If you ever upgrade to a larger trailer only the bars are changed on the Blue ox.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Either of these should work just fine.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think with a 250 you need a 1200 lbs bar... I would say 1000 lb is enough.

I use 1000lb bar with a 740 lb TW.

With a 250 you may only need to restore 100 lbs maybe to the front of the truck..

I restore like 1150 lbs with mine. And I have a 1500 series truck..

Get a simple curt like this. I have a brophy thats exactly the same.. I get no sway.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17052.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Is your coupler a top mount or bottom mount on the A frame?

I love my trunnion bars for ease of handling. They just roll into place, very easy. But my top mount coupler made a high rise ball a necessity so it didn't make contact with the A frame. The hitch works great when set up properly.

Standard coupler, not inverted.

Random Dealer 1 Pics, Random Dealer 2 Pics, Random Dealer 3 Pics

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your coupler a top mount or bottom mount on the A frame?

I love my trunnion bars for ease of handling. They just roll into place, very easy. But my top mount coupler made a high rise ball a necessity so it didn't make contact with the A frame. The hitch works great when set up properly.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH