cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH choices

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent countless hours going over the threads here regarding WDH setups. I just picked up a new to me camper. The camper is 30' and GVWR is 6500. Most, if not all, of our camping trips are less than 200 miles from our house. We are weekend warriors, and head out about once a month on our camping trips. With all that being said, I am trying to narrow down the best hitch for the money, and for my needs. I picked the camper up over the past weekend, and towed it on just the ball. The ride home was all highway, and was about 150 miles. I stayed under 60, and had little to no sawy at all. I am was very surprised. I am kind of thinking a simple round bar setup with friction sway is all I need. There is a side of me that is saying to buy the Andersen Setup. I like the setup and sleek design. Thoughts?
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7
18 REPLIES 18

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
pkjorlie wrote:
OK, so I'm pulling a 3000# trailer approx. 450#TW with a 2010 Jeep Liberty rated 5000# tow. I want to add a WD Hitch (with sway), but should I be looking at a 1000# hitch which is the most common? Or should I go smaller?

I have this hitch and use it with similar tongue weight.

Pro Series 550 lb Round Bar hitch with Sway Control

It does a great job and if you ever upgrade the camper you can just order new heavier rated spring bars.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

No1Eman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a reese dual cam Weight distributing setup on my second trailer now. It works well.
2012 F-150 Ford Super Crew 4X4
Ecoboost 3.73 Limited Slip
Reese dual cam WD system
2015 Highland Ridge Open Range Light
3 sons (Oldest is in the USAF)
2 Beagles

pkjorlie
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I'm pulling a 3000# trailer approx. 450#TW with a 2010 Jeep Liberty rated 5000# tow. I want to add a WD Hitch (with sway), but should I be looking at a 1000# hitch which is the most common? Or should I go smaller?

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Even if yours does not have greaseserts put a thin film on the contact surfaces with your finger. You are not wanting gobs of grease just a thin film to break the friction.

Thanks! Will do. My last trailer had the trunion bars. I'd put a little grease on the 2 mounting points in the head.
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if yours does not have greaseserts put a thin film on the contact surfaces with your finger. You are not wanting gobs of grease just a thin film to break the friction.

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Thsldo wrote:
I just picked up the Husky WDH with Friction Sway bar. Everything that is needed was included, I paid 100 dollars for it. It's in perfect shape, with low use. I am happy. Now to get ready for the first trip in April!!

Great score! Did you get a round bar or a trunnion? Regardless, make sure you grease the contact points on the WD hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

They are the round bars...I didn't see any grease fittings in the head, I'll look again.

Thanks!
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thsldo wrote:
I just picked up the Husky WDH with Friction Sway bar. Everything that is needed was included, I paid 100 dollars for it. It's in perfect shape, with low use. I am happy. Now to get ready for the first trip in April!!

Great score! Did you get a round bar or a trunnion? Regardless, make sure you grease the contact points on the WD hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
My comments pertain to that hitch also. E-trailer is a great retailer but sometimes their copy writers get a bit carried away and give out information that is not exactly correct. I would be very leary of using them as a resource for "facts". Besides, they said nothing about the disconnecting the chains. ($150 hitch???) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Barney

I could have sworn that when I first opened the link, that was the price, but now I see it is $255. My error. I don't really have any experience with the accuracy of their copy writers, but that could certainly be the case.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just picked up a husky round bar setup,with the friction sway control on Craigslist for 100 dollars! I'll try it out. If it is not doing the job, I'll step up. I thought the price was worth it. I had a very similar setup on my last trailer, which was a 20 foot hybrid.
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My comments pertain to that hitch also. E-trailer is a great retailer but sometimes their copy writers get a bit carried away and give out information that is not exactly correct. I would be very leary of using them as a resource for "facts". Besides, they said nothing about the disconnecting the chains. ($150 hitch???) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was actually referring to the Pro Series hitch mentioned in the previous post. I was curious about a $150 hitch and looked it up and saw in the description the warning about backing up.

Copied from the Etrailer.com website:

Note: This weight-distribution system cannot be used on trailers with surge brakes. The sway control must be removed when you are going in reverse.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
scbwr wrote:
I have an Equalizer hitch and it works very well. But I really like the design and features of the Blue Ox Swaypro and may eventually get one. I suggest that you buy a hitch that allows backing up...some require removing sway bars or chains before backing up.

I am not aware of any hitch that requires the removal of chains before backing up. In addition, the only kind of sway bar that sometimes needs removal in certain conditions before backing up is the standard friction sway control that is added on and is really not a part of the hitch itself. Even they do not need removal if installed correctly and the trailer is not jacknifed when backing up.
Barney

This is what it looks like.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Equalizer hitch and it works very well. But I really like the design and features of the Blue Ox Swaypro and may eventually get one. I suggest that you buy a hitch that allows backing up...some require removing sway bars or chains before backing up.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu