cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

when to dump

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok black and gray are empty but if we take a few weekend trips and use the toile and shower etc...how full should we have the tanks before dumping ?
I know you do black first then gray,,,but do you run water in either tank to clean ?? If so how do you do that?
Thanks for helping a rookie
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
19 REPLIES 19

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Flush when you have enough water to carry the slurry out of the tank.

If it has only been used a time or two on a weekend trip I will add about 5 gallons of water before I flush the tank.

I always start with 3 or so gallons of water in the tank or at least enough to have a couple of inches of water on the bottom before adding solids.

You want a slurry to flush out not chunks and wads. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Turret Class traveler

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the tank cleansing rituals used on these boards are great morning reading material while I sit and dump.

Personally I dump when I leave a campground be it 1/4 full or 3/4 full. About the only time I use the almost worthless tank flush connection is at the end of the season as a tank filler to flush before I put the cover on for 4 months. I do not worry about if half a turd remains in the tank between trips.

Not long ago I watched a guys flushing ritual for about 45 minutes at a state park while his wife yelled multiple times from the truck window "make sure you get it all out Al".
Great entertainment is where you find it. I was literally 400 yards away up on a hill and this woman was like listening to nails on a chalkboard. She was worried about a turd being left in the tank and would have none of that foolishness, and she let Al know it. If I was Al I think I would have found the ranger and filed for divorce on the spot LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Ok black and gray are empty but if we take a few weekend trips and use the toile and shower etc...how full should we have the tanks before dumping ?
I know you do black first then gray,,,but do you run water in either tank to clean ?? If so how do you do that?
Thanks for helping a rookie

Every was a rookie at some point! Empty the black tank when 3/4 full. Depending if your RV has a built in back flush connection, I connect the water hose to the black tank and turn the water on. Then I open the black valve as long as it takes to empty. Then I close the black valve and let the water run until I get about 15 gal. in the tank to wash down any remaining materials. Then flush again. While the black tank is filling up I open the gray and Kitchen/shower tanks (different RV's have different tank configurations) until they are empty, then close both valves. Then I open the black tank again until it is empty. I then fill the black tank with about 5 to 10 gallons and close the black valve. Then disconnect the water. You never want to leave the black tank completely empty. You could end up with the famous "pyramid" and a plugged up black drain. Another way to back flush your black tank is to pour about 4 gallons of H20 into the toilet if your RV does not have a built in black flush. there are some commercial liquids that will also help keep your black tank.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When you feel the urge. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime I'm hooked up to a sewer, I dump. If I roll into a full hook up and stay the night I dump the next morning. Done it that way for more than 30 years.

I fill the bowl up about 5 or 6 times and flush. I go outside and pull the handle. As soon as it's empty I close the handle and open the gray valve. As soon as it's empty I close the valve and disconnect the hose and wash it out with water and put everything away. Done.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln