cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.
46 REPLIES 46

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your posts are more and more like that 'info' commercial that you leave on for background noise

I am tuning out. Bye!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know why folks work camp. I would guess reasons vary. I do know I am extremely greatful for those who do. I go out of my way to thank them every chance I get. They are the unsung heroes of our family camping experience. They seem to be the ones who clean the trashed restrooms, help campers, try to enforce the rules, get an ear full when there is a problem. I do not remember seeing camp hosts when I camped as a kid. It was the ranger. Things have sure changed from family tent camping to monster VE's with outside televisions & stereo's. Deep thanks to those who do work camp
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)