cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.
46 REPLIES 46

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
Good topic I would not have seen had it been in the Workcamp forum.

Thats good and that was what I was hoping would happen. It's sad but the WC forum is just a dead space. It needs some serious re-thinking on every level. The way it is handled now no one goes there.

But there are some very active WC forums around the net where jobs are posted and discussed openly and they seem to work well. Try googling it.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Good topic I would not have seen had it been in the Workcamp forum.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see a post that explains why some workcamp.

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
We are finishing up five winters in OR state parks and have no regrets. Health is the only reason we are not going for number six.

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Heck I learned something new. "Working camping" was totally not what I thought it was...
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fulltimedaniel wrote:
2112 wrote:
Why is everyone here in such a fowl mood? It's spring time.

LOL!! Boy that's the real question.

Well for some that means it has been six to nine months since they were out using their RV!!! I would be really grouchy if I went much more than two months.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
We camped in State parks for around 30 years. When we retired we felt it was time to give back. We find work camping a lot of fun. The rangers we interact with go out of their way to let us know we are appreciated, not just a warm body to use and throw away.

X2
Donn, hit the nail on the head for us also. Many years of enjoying State Parks of Washington and Oregon, mostly Oregon. DW and I have eight months of Hosting over three summers, while still working full time jobs. It was hard, but our preview to doing it in retirement. We covered all our duties, and were always asked to come back. This last January we both took a month off from work, and hosted on the Oregon Coast. We enjoyed the summers even if it meant working seven days a week and about 70 to 80 hours a week. Just Hosting the month at the Coast was GREAT!! Working with and spending time with the other host and Rangers.
We retire in June and are really looking forward to full time Hosting.
The Oregon State Parks truly appreciate their host and we are treated like equals, with some safety restrictions.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that this forum is the right forum for this question. The WC forum is more for people posting openings, or people looking for work.

We have worked at a privately owned campground for site a minimum pay, worked for a concessionaire at a forestry campground, volunteered with the forestry service, a couple of county parks and a nature park. I have also worked outside of a campground in a retail store over a couple of winters. We started full-time before we planned to as a result of the loss of jobs. We already owned our RV, so away we went. We workamped and volunteered to stretch the budget. Only volunteering in the summer now - going south in the winter and just enjoying ourselves.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your posts are more and more like that 'info' commercial that you leave on for background noise

I am tuning out. Bye!

Guess the old in your name says it all

It doesnt matter what I post there are about three folks who follow me around the forums to do nothing more than criticize anything and everything I post. No matter how NON controversial, mundane or boring the post is.

It doesnt bother me. If I can fill their days with anger, resentment and rage at the machine simply by posting about workcamping I guess I have fulfilled my destiny on this earth.:)

But good grief Y'all cheer up a bit.:R

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
There are alot of other Workcamping options besides being in an RV Park or other Park. There is Amazon which I have heard both great and not so great things about, the Sugar Beet Harvest which I did and had some fun, though it was very hard work, although I got my very own Huge CAT Loader with tires as tall as me to drive around.

There are seasonal jobs, like here in Alaska. And here with me there are at least two other Full Time RV'ers at the same place. Both of which brought their rigs up the highway.

We have talked about doing the Park Host job but think we would like to do it at a Federal park of some sort. Maybe that will be next year.

For us it's more of a way to just sit still for awhile, regroup, think about the next stage, keep busy and engaged. My long term plan is to move back overseas when I feel I have run the course with Full Timing.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
There is a place for this thread and it is not here.
What is wrong with where it is placed? I am not a fan of the OP, but he was pretty clear why he thought this was the proper place and, lo and hehold, I agree. But then again, I didn't realize these forums had a layer of supervision above the moderators and administrator regarding when and where threads should run. I'll be sure to run any new threads I start past you before I place them (NOT!)

RVPO and I don't agree often, in fact rarely, but in this case I share his sentiments entirely (if not with such intensity.)

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here We Go Again !

Popcorn anyone ?

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Why is everyone here in such a fowl mood? It's spring time.

LOL!! Boy that's the real question.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:

Below is how this Forum is headlined by those that run the site:

"General RVing Issues
This forum addresses all things RV -- news and notes, comments and concerns are all welcome here."

I think that covers it. Also this is WHY people WC not about looking for or getting those positions. So I think it's appropriate.

Also the Workamping forum is literally dead and by being here maybe more people will read these posts and think about Workcamping too.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:

The OP "assumes" folks interested in his topic will find it in the *General RVing Issues* forum.

IMO - ONLY accidentally.

The OP *does* have other options, if he's not happy with the Workamping FORUM offered here - -

Escapees forums have two which apply:

*Working on The Road*

and

*Volunteering Adventures*

Probably others (on other RVing sites also).

:C