cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WInterizing Generator

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Back in June we bought our first RV with a generator built in. It is a Class B so it gets used as a second car when needed which isn't often in the Winter. I winterized the rest of the B like I have done with past slide in pickup camper. We went the whole Summer not needing to use the generator but running it for 10-15 minutes every month because that's what people said to do to keep the carb from getting gummed up. Not sure if we will ever use the generator but it is nice insurance, so I don't want to haul around a dead weight that doesn't run but also don't want to run it every month all Winter.

So here is what I did. I ran the gas tank down to near empty, filled with alcohol free gas and added STA-BIL gas treatment to treat the whole gas tank full (14oz) and then ran the generator for 15 minutes with a load. My plan now is to forget the generator till sometime next Summer.

What is the general opinion, will this work?
16 REPLIES 16

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. I have done the same over the years.
2010 Suncruiser

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œbut also don't want to run it every month all Winter.โ€œ

Couldnโ€™t you run it during your weekly or monthly inspection? I exercise my generator every two weeks with the weed whacker pulling a load when not out camping.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad