cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Workcamper News

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby & I were fulltime rv'rs for 7 years. He got tired of workcamping & wanted to retire. So here we are sitting in an old folks resort in a park model in Arizona. He sits in a recliner all day watching t.v. I have 2 questions....1. Do any of you think it is advantages to have a subscription to workcamper to locate jobs? 2. Do any of you think a 62 yr old active, great shape woman could find jobs as a solo workcamper. I just can't stand the thought of sitting here letting life go by waiting to die. I'm thinking of going out on my own, but I would need to make at least $1,000 a month to supplement my income. I would love to hear advice. Thanks....
22 REPLIES 22

Drrouner
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I subscribe to Workamper News is for the daily job alerts. The Workamper magazine has the same employers and ads for the last ten years. There are plenty of free sites out there.
I have been a single work camper for the last seven years. I have worked with plenty of single female work campers, one was 77 years old.
Making 12000 a year wouldn't be a problem, I just did my taxes and I made over 20000.
Here is an example. You could work for Hoodoo in Washingto as a camp host. They usually pay ten bucks an hour plus some perks. For a five month period you would gross about 8000.00. Then go and work for Amazon for three months 500 x12 weeks = 6000.00 (sometimes they will even extend the season for another couple of months). You will have grossed about 14,000 for the year. For the winter, there are numerous opportunities to work just for your site.
Problems with your hubby? I can't help you there.
David

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
What will you do if you find a great position?
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
We subscribed for a number of years. Never took a position but loved seeing where jobs were available.

X2
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We subscribed for a number of years. Never took a position but loved seeing where jobs were available.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been workamper subscribers for 3 years. We have never applied to a job we saw in the ads, but, we have received several job offers because of our resume that is posted. That bad part - the job offers were always from campgrounds that have poor reviews from prior workers, or it's for summer in the south or too far north in the fall/winter.

As far as earning at least $1,000 per month, that could be difficult unless you work full time with all hours paid, and most positions pay somewhere around minimum wage. There are some long term jobs posted that are for management positions with better pay. It's just not what we are looking for yet. We aren't ready to stay in the same place for at least a year.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
2freelife wrote:
... I'm thinking of going out on my own, but I would need to make at least $1,000 a month to supplement my income. I would love to hear advice. Thanks....

Making $1000/month is possible but certainly not the norm, especially if you want to move around. You could find a campground during the summer season where all hours are paid and site provided, then not be able to find a comparable position for the rest of the year.

You also said you have a park model now. Does that mean you'd have to purchase an RV to start on your new career?

Maybe you could feel just as fulfilled working in town while your DH relaxes in front of the TV.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
We subscribed to Workamper News for about 4 years and never received a job from it...upgraded our resume every 6 months....you have to figure there are several thousand people seeing the same jobs you are posted....they get hit from all sides with applications from all over. We have always done better contacting a campground ourselves. Pick an area you would like to be in, find out all the caampgrounds in that area...send each one an inquirey along with a picture of yourself....Large campgrounds have more openings for single workers than small mom & pop type. Check out the large KOA just west of Mount Rushmore...they hire over 100 workers each year...pay is what you're looking for also
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger issue is fixing the DH. The scenario you describe is not good for anyone of any age. Good luck with the hunt for work and fixing the problem.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)