cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow powder in fresh water tank vent tube

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve owned my 1999 trailer for 8 years now. I start every spring with a flush out of the pink antifreeze in the plumbing, followed by a sanitation of the fresh tank and pipes with a quart of bleach mixed into the full 30 gallon tank.

Last week when I went to service the system, I noticed my half inch diameter clear vent tube was clogged with dry yellow powder for the first 2 inches coming from the tank. I removed the hose and tapped the powder into a white coffee mug before washing out the tube and reinstalling.

Could this be from filling up the tank in mountain areas with high mineral well water? Should I be concerned? I’m having trouble trying to attach a photo today
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles
17 REPLIES 17

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second on the pollen.

If you don't have a good water fill connection enclosed behind a hatch or door, everything that gets washed down the side of the trailer when it rains can get in the vent tube or the water fill port if it doesn't have a cap.

I had my trailer in to a dealer to get the roof Corners resealed because the caulking was looking bad. While I had it there I also paid for them to wash and wax it. About a week after I got it back I found liquid wax that was sprayed on it in the fresh water fill hose. There was pink wax residue from the spray on wax that ran down the side of the trailer and gotten into the fresh water fill hose.

The water fill port looked similar to the shorepower mouse hole with the same type of flap that snapped closed over the opening. I wasn't too happy about that one. I had to remove the fill hose between the outside hatch and the tank and scrub it out with a bottle brush and Dawn then reinstall the hose. I'm not sure if anything got into the tank but I flushed it a couple of times just in case.

Within a month I replaced the cheap water fill port with a lockable hatch type after I found sediment that looked like dirt in the hose again after I had cleaned the wax out. I figured it was dust and dirt that rainwater had carried down the side of the trailer and it had weeped into the cheap water fill port.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pine pollen perhaps?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty-two ounces of beach in a thirty gallon fresh waster tank exceeds every recommendation I’ve ever read. Quarter cup for every fifteen gallons is the standard IMO for sanitation. Looking forward to your pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad