cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your experience with concessionaires at National Parks

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
As I search for workamper opportunities, I've learned that various companies make bids to get the concession contracts within National Parks. I've found two such companies: Aramark and Xanterra. Are there any others? Do you have any experience of one being better: in terms of pay and benefits?

All input appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
9 REPLIES 9

llallerstedt
Explorer
Explorer
Just found Becky's Blog. Thanks!

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my endorsement for Becky's blog, "Interstellar Orchard". It is always interesting and well written. Becky will give you "news you can use" and get you to thinking. It's my kind of blog. Visit at your earliest opportunity.

Becky is right about Coolworks.com. I learned of that site through one of her postings, went to it and found my "circus gig". Yes, I traveled with a circus as a teacher for the children whose parents managed and performed in the circus. As a retired educator, it was a most interesting "gig"! I wouldn't have found it without Becky's mention.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently working for Forever Resorts, which holds the contract for Badlands National Park.

Pay is minimal, but my RV site is only $2 a night with utilities and the meal program at $35 a week is cheaper than me cooking for myself. After living expenses I have managed to save about 100-150 a month working here which since I'm not retired and getting money from SS or a pension isn't bad - a lot better than holding a retail job at a 'normal' company. With these kind of jobs it's definitely the location more than the pay which is considered the biggest draw.

I work 40 hours a week and enjoy spending my weekends exploring the Badlands and the nearby Black Hills area. As already stated, how much you like the job depends a lot on who you're working with and for - and how easily you can forgive the small annoyances that pop up working at any kind of job.

Coolworks.com is where I go to find these kind of gigs. I've written a more extensive review of this place and more about working at National Parks for both concessionaire companies and with the NPS (much harder to get into) at the site in my signature, which I probably can't link to directly on here or I'll get in trouble for advertising. ๐Ÿ˜›
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Xanterra just got the contract for Glacier NP. They January 2014.

wcbass
Explorer
Explorer
Xanterra is the largest concessionaire in Yellowstone. This is our 7th season, and we will be back next year. Yes, your level of enjoyment at work depends on your immediate supervisor and co-workers, but no matter what, you have a great backyard to explore on your days off. For all the info, go to www.yellowstonejobs.com.
2011 Cameo 35SB3 Fifth wheel
2015 Ford F350 4x4

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Also add Delware North to your list. As for pay and benefits, for most employees the answer is low and absolutely none. These companies hire many part-time workers. Those workers do relatively low skill work and are paid at or near minimum wage. You may get some housing, and discounts on food etc., but they are not anything that would equate to a good paying job.
I you are looking to be in management, I am reasonably sure the pay dynamic is a bit better, but be aware that most of these positions are in somewhat remote vacation destinations, so housing is expensive and scarce. The people I have talked to in the management positions mostly started out as part time employees or took low paying permanent positions and worked their way up. I am also reasonably sure they do recruit most higher management positions similar to any other large companies, which means it will be competitive. Burnout is very high, since you would be managing a bunch of part-time employees who aren't going to be losing very much if they choose to bug out early, or are college aged foreign workers who know their real employer isn't going to be checking on some part time job on the other side of the world.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Thousand Trail management
RR&M
California land management

to name 3
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
These are very large companies. Other than the obvious things like pay, job satisfaction is going to depend mostly on your immediate supervisor and your co-workers. Certainly you can verify the pay, benefits, etc. in advance but you can't know whether or not the super and co-workers will be jerks or wonderful. We found that the supervisors often are not trained in basic people skills and management but are supers just because they have worked there awhile.
Jayco-noslide

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Cool Works

Here you go most of them are on here.

From Yellowstone... ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843