cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C leak inside when A/C vents open.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 A/Cs in my FW. The one in the living room has 3 vents you can open to make the air come directly out of the unit or you can close them and have the air scatter in other vents around the RV. When I'm in one spot for a while on the couch I open the vents to cool the area I'm in rather than small areas of the RV. However, every time I open the vents on the A/C I get a lot of water dripping down from the vent holes. It builds up fast and drips within minutes. When I close the vents and keep it closed, there are never any drips. Is there a way to stop this? It's around 85-90 degrees outside right now so the A/C is always on. I've opened the unit and tightened a couple screws that I saw were lose. There's also a padded fiberglass type thing that's in there. It looks like fiberglass on the inside and covered on the outside maybe Styrofoam? That piece was just laying there. I'm assuming it's to absorb the water that drips from the A/C unless I open the vents and it gets overwhelmed. Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
acemyers wrote:
I got up on the roof the other day when this happened. Water is draining properly off the roof into the "drain lines" and off the RV. It hasn't rained in about 2 weeks so I doubt that's anything. And when it did rain, there's no leaks. It's only when I slide the vent holes open that causes it to leak.

Don't open the vents :B

Otherwise......clean the evap cooler and drip pan holes.
Check that A/C unit isn't sitting down on roof restricting water draining

Water (Condensation) is accumulating faster than drip pan can get rid of and is being carried over by fan blower into discharge plenum. When you open the ceiling grill vents it drips out..with vents closed it is getting blown into ducts
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In humid (around 50 to 70 percent or higher) conditions we often get condenstion forming on the A/C vents on the ceiling. Especially if folks have been going in and out of the door a couple of times.

I've had it drip on me but it's minimal. I'm guessing it could be worse in near 100% humidity.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
acemyers wrote:
I got up on the roof the other day when this happened. Water is draining properly off the roof into the "drain lines" and off the RV.

There are multiple drain holes, so some condensation can be draining properly.
My drain pan seems to have multiple sections in it.
The side sections drain fine, but the rear pan section is filling up and dripping inside.
I still think it could be one of the drain holes.
Of course I could be wrong also. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
I got up on the roof the other day when this happened. Water is draining properly off the roof into the "drain lines" and off the RV. It hasn't rained in about 2 weeks so I doubt that's anything. And when it did rain, there's no leaks. It's only when I slide the vent holes open that causes it to leak.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dan-nickie wrote:
Old-Biscuit the diagram seems to be missing the drain holes.
I guess they are in different locations depending on the unit.
Mine were not easy to find.

Diagram is just a generic scheme.

I had to shift my evap cooler out of frame in order to get to the drain holes in drip pan.......I removed drip pan and enlarged the drain holes.

Just a side note....if roof gasket is over compressed it can cause the drain holes on drip pan to sit on roof and not properly drain also.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit the diagram seems to be missing the drain holes.
I guess they are in different locations depending on the unit.
Mine were not easy to find.
Dan and Nickie

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
A guess, the fiberglass stuff is mis-located duct insulation, you may be getting condensation in the duct. Maybe.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Me too.
I haven't been up there yet, but I suspect some of the small drain holes are at least partially stopped up on the roof.
I think that opening the vents on the sides allows the cold air to go right back up into the unit and creates more condensation.
We are not using ours right now, but I plan on getting up there and cleaning out everything soon.

We had a similar leak last year and that took care of it.
Dan and Nickie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water leaking into rig from A/C unit can only be two things.....

The roof gasket is not sealing...either because the 4 hold down bolts are loose, gasket has been over compressed...water from rain or washing rig is pooling around A/C unit and leaking in thru gasket.
The 4 hold down bolts can be accessed by removing the whole ceiling grill and then tightening the bolts.......just snug not wrenched tight.
If gasket has been over compressed then you will need to replace gasket. Disconnecting power to A/C unit, removing hold down bolts and lifting A/C unit up out of roof opening.

The other source of water is from evap drip pan drain holes being plugged and not allowing condensation from evap cooler to drain out onto roof and run down and away.
You have to remove A/C shroud then remove metal cover over evap cooler and clean drip pan drain holes.

The fiberglass material sounds like the return air filter....should be cleaned and/or changed frequently. Dirty air filters cause restricted air flow and can cause excessive condensation