cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zappy 3 pro-flex scooter

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My wife has MS, and can not walk much more than around our campsite. She misses being able to move around the campground, to visit, and just see other areas.

I have noticed these scooters in CW, and am just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with these? She can no longer ride a bicycle, but this may be something that would work for her.

They cost nearly $1,000, so it would be nice to hear others experience, before just ordering one.

Thanks for any feedback you may have,
Jerry
8 REPLIES 8

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL.

Sorry, we were gone most of the day and I didn't see your "slow speed" question. YES, it will go any variable speed you want it to go. Just twist the speed section of the right hand handlebar grip as far as the speed you want to travel at. <1 MPH thru 17 MPH. Totally variable and doesn't NOT have any preset speeds in notches. Tipping is something she will not have to worry about at all nor tipping over backwards.

There must be a Camping World somewhere near you as they are all around so you won't have to pay any extra for the shipping. Camping World has sales from time to time and also you save more by being a President's Club Member which is $20/yr I think. We've been PC members since 198? when it was first offered and we've saved well over a thousand dollars by being a PC member. Also CW had sent us a $50 voucher to be used on one item of X min cost in the mail and we used that too so all in all we paid a lot less the $1600 for 2 Zappy's including the 6% Michigan sales tax. I won't print the exact price we paid as Marcus might not like that since prices vary from time to time and maybe also in various areas/regions. You'll just have to get the best price you can whereever.

I don't know where you live in the Midwest so I wouldn't know where the closest CW is to you. Regardless, $132 just for shipping seems very high as the Zappy would have to go by truck due to weight. I think they will come from Bowling Green, KY in the Midwest at least for Midwest sales. Call ahead to a CW and make sure they have a Zappy in stock and if they have one on the showroom floor for demo so your wife can tryout as that's the best way. Grand Rapids CW let us take the showroom demo Zappy out in the parking lot and we gave it a real good tryout before deciding it was right for us. Bought 2 and it sure is!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Try Craigslist in your local area for used mobility scooters, you can usually locate one nearby in excellent condition for under $500, the three-wheel model is a little more maneuverable and slightly less weight, but either three or four wheel models will serve you well. Make sure that you can disassemble it and put the pieces in your RV w/o much trouble (some parts are heavy), or get a carrier on the back of your unit with a ramp so you can drive the scooter up onto the carrier.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Scooter

Bought this for my wife. The battery lifts off. It connects via contacts so no wiring issue. The seat lifts off. Then you pull a lever and the motor and rear wheel assembly disconnects from the rest of the unit. The steering column folds down. This will fit in the trunk of just about any car. It runs many miles. We have no problem running around Walt Disney World all day. The basket lifts off too. You can get a sun shade as well. The price shown is not what I paid. I paid around $1200. It also moves at a good speed but no 17mph.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks to all, for your replies!

I have read some reviews, the Amazon link was good too. Travelnutz was just the person I needed to hear from.

Most of my questions were answered, as I was wondering how I would load and haul it with a FW. My wife was afraid it might tip easily, or go over backwards. One thing we were still wondering about, was if it was easy to go slow? It seems from TNs review, that it will go plenty fast!

I often take our little dog for walks. My wife would like to go with us, so she is hoping to be able to ride the scooter slow enough to do so. This would be the only other question I would have for travelnutz, if it is easy to operate at a very slow speed?

I will talk to my wife, but I think she will want to go ahead now, with the order. CW has them on sale for $799, but shipping to us is about $132, so will be nearly 1k.

I'd still like to hear on the slow speed operation, but again, thanks to all for your replies!

Jerry

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just looked at the Amazon link and it's wrong or a misprint! Our Zappy manual says 17 mph and one of the RV'ers in our park was along side on the road with me going down the paved bike path and said that's what it was going. Manual says 13 miles battery life and that's close to what we get but I haven't let the battery go dead yet so I can't say exactly. I can tell you it's a lot faster than an electric golf cart because none have ever come close to keeping up with me by far! Nor the gas golf carts either!
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought 2 Zappy Pro Flex scooters last November from Camper's World in Grand Rapids, MI. Not $1000 each but around $800. Less when on sale! We took one Zappy down here to Florida with us for my disabled wife. Didn't have enough room with the truck and 5th wheel to take both. She loves it and I use it a lot too and also for exercising our Siberian Husky and sure do wish we could have taken both of them with us.

They are extremely comfortable for sitting and aren't a bit tippy even at top speed while turning. Carry laundry or whatever in the basket. Has an LED headlight for night use and battery charge level inbdicators plus very good brakes. However, be advised that they will go PLENTY fast (17 MPH) and will go 13 miles on a charge and we found that's not an exaggeration either. Our dog absolutely loves it when I take her for a run with it. I put a 3' long leash around the seat post and it's held up under the seat with a stainless hose clamp so it can't get under the back wheels and she can't get over 3' away from me either. We go 1-3 times a day for a run about 1 to 1-1/2 miles each as she needs the exercise and I can't run 17 MPH. At 17 MPH she's just loping along and the people in the RV park love watching her and must have hundreds of pics by now.

To haul it:

I took the front wheel section off where the 2 bolts go thru in front of the battery. About 3-4 minutes. Took the basket off and folded the handle bars down along side the front wheel like it's supposed to and wrapped a 5 X 7 plastic tarp around it and put a bungee to keep the tarp tight. Tarp is to keep it dry and clean and then I set it on one side of the rear truck bed. About 50 lbs weight. Took the seat off the back half by loosing the 2 clamp screws at the seat post bottom and wrapped a 5 X 7 tarp around the back half just like I did the front half (wheel). About the same weight as the front wheel section also. Set it on the other side of the truck
s bed rear and put a steel cable thru both halves and around the locked leg of the 5th wheel hitch. Don't want anyone "borrowing it" while we are in a restaurant or a store!

For your wife's use, it's up to how nimble she is and if she can use her thumb and forefinger to turn the motorcycle like control. It goes back to off when it's let go of. Spring loaded twist throttle.

It's front wheel drive so she can't pop a wheelie as the drive wheel would come off the ground. Has a center wheel in the middle behind that's about an inch off the ground so it can't tip backwards either because id tipped backwards, the wheel hits.

In short, we love ours and will find a way to take both next year and plan to use them at the many events in town at home too as that's also part of why we had bought them. Some of the events are a mile or so apart and parking close will no longer be a problem with our Zappys.

BTW, we seem to recharge it about every 3-5 days and it takes 4-6 hours usually.

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I have questions about ANY product, I search first on Amazon. They sell nearly everything now, and that's where you'll find the most user reviews, usually the most trustworthy ones, and pick up lots of tips from people who already own what you're considering buying. In addition, you can ask questions about any product, and Amazon will email everyone who bought one to see if they know the answer/want to answer the question.

Here's the link for the product you're considering:
http://www.amazon.com/Zappy-Electric-Mobility-Scooter-Pro-Flex/dp/B0051WRUI2

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You would be better off to look on Craigslist or Ebay for a used mobility scooter. We picked up two of them, One was a year old & had only been used once (the mother didn't like it). The other was several years old but in good shape. We got them both for $900.

They easily come apart into 6 pieces for transport. Go back together easily.

Much more comfortable and safer to ride.

I've seen the Zappys around a couple of campgrounds. The seat is more like a bicycle seat. The mobility scooter has a car like seat.