cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planing this years vacation

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
So it the the time of year that i get to pick my vacation for the year at work.
The wife and the kids like the ocean, so this year i was thinking about pointing the truck and trailer north and heading to Bar Harbor Maine.
I have just started to look at camp grounds but i was was just wanted to know if there was any that i should stay away from or if there is one up there that is die for.
tanks for any help.
10 REPLIES 10

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We use RVparkreviews.com to check out campgrounds where we are going. For the most part it is very helpful especially if there are a good number of reviews. We have been to Bar Harbor twice and have stayed in Acadia NP. Have a great trip and go where ever you want to go.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of Bar Harbor Maine where the water is absolutely frigid, in southern ME check into the Old Orchard Beach area. I would go in early AUG as the water sometimes peaks out at 70 degrees. The area is VERY popular with campers/rvers. Old Orchard Beach Campgrounds & Scarborough Beach Campgrounds

lots to do to keep the family occupied , Beach, amusement parks, water parks, board walks, great seafood.

Bayley's camping resort has the most bell & whistles, has a trolley to take you to the beach. Paradise Park camping resort is some what quieter and closer to the beach. Hid'n Pines family campground is good too. All the campgrounds are well run and get good reviews. We have been to all and enjoyed our self's for what they offer.

Also take a day trip to near by Perkins cove

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
If I recall correctly, we stayed at MT Dessert Narrows campground whee we did Bar Harbor. It was several years ago. Don't remember anything bad, and the lobster was good!!

Couple things I remember:
There is a land bridge you can drive across at low tide, stop and look for shells, etc.
There is a great lobster pound right at the causeway
Acadia National Park is beautiful - we did a lot of hiking there
On the way out there we came across Penobscott Narrows Bridge. There was an old bridge (it's been torn down now) and the new bridge has an observatory in the top of the tower. I'm a Bridge Engineer, so I couldn't pass up stopping to visit.

That's all I could pull from the memory bank...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Consider the cape cod area. The water is still col but a bit more tolerable.
Don't shoot the messenger. Maine is known for its scenery not its warm beaches
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
lots of good help here. NOT

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Think Florida panhandle for the most non frigid beaches in the east.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
been doing the outer banks and myrtle and huntington beach the last few years. I want something different.
And the parts of of Maine that I have been in are pretty.But its hard to sight see in a semi truck with a load of liquid hydrogen.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
To cold for me to... head South!

FYI .... If the wife want's "ocean"... and you want lunch .... you better go to the ocean!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
As fla-gypsy said the waters are cold there, looking at mid 60’s to low 70’s temp in July and beginning of August.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Might be better to point it S-SW (think GOM) and go to a beach with water that won't cause hypothermia but I may be biased.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)