cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are your fun family activites while camping?

GreenBananas
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would ask this question two foldโ€ฆ What are your family camping traditions? And what activities do you find yourself doing the most with younger children?
Don't buy green bananas! Do the things you wish you could do, now, donโ€™t wait on them. There just might not be a tomorrow.
59 REPLIES 59

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
tie the kids up and drizzle honey on them and watch them squirm as the ants crawl all over them.
have them do mortal combat with the coons for their dinner,,, its a riot !!!

we just did whatever we all felt like doing, most of the time they would be off making new friends, if the selction of other kids was minimal, play a board game on a rainy day, go for a bike ride, or the beach, or they would go off to the playground, nothing is ever planned
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

kingsleyke
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
Metal detecting on the beach for the teens. Small sand shovels for the little ones. Be sure to pre-hide a bunch of coins first.

It's a good idea that the family can go detecting while camping. My boys will love it. Well, the problem is I only have one metal detector. Is there any place that can rent metal detectors?

Nola_Campers
Explorer
Explorer
On short trips usually hiking, water activities, and photography are enough to keep us occupied, but we are working on stocking the camper with some things for longer trips and inclement weather. For inside we have cards, puzzles, and board games. For outside so far we just have a football to toss around, but we plan to get some lawn darts (Jarts). For Mother's Day I received the ice cream maker ball that you just roll around to make ice cream. It is really neat.

When I was a kid my siblings and I used to do "shoe fishing" from the top bunk in the RV. I can't wait to do this with my son. You just use bungee cords and hook shoes. Some are more difficult to hook than others.

mnewell0293
Explorer
Explorer
We are camping in our TT for the first time this weekend (HAPPY MOTHERS DAY)! (previous tent campers)...forecast is calling for rain, boo ๐Ÿ˜ž So I am grateful for all these ideas. Praying we all dont get on each other's nerves! We did buy a 19 inch tv with DVD player but hoping not to pull that "card" out unless it's a last resort.

Thanks y'all!

Melissa
Melissa & Eric

2005 KZ 2809 Frontier
2007 Denali Yukon XL
2 Polaris Quads
3 Blessings
1 DH = gift from GOD
and the kitchen sink!

From Tenting to TT - HUZZAH!

mnewell0293
Explorer
Explorer
Mike& Rose wrote:
Infrared Game-Camera
I received one of these cameras as a Christmas present from my kids to bring camping. I hook it to a tree or the RV ladder and let it do it's thing. In the morning my grand son loves to see what critters visited our site during the night. Now I know why my 2 dachshunds Hansel and Gretel want to go out in the middle of the night. One night they keep crying to go out and in the morning we discovered 2 bears had visited our site!

Thank you so much for that link. We are going to look into this!
Melissa & Eric

2005 KZ 2809 Frontier
2007 Denali Yukon XL
2 Polaris Quads
3 Blessings
1 DH = gift from GOD
and the kitchen sink!

mnewell0293
Explorer
Explorer
The Car Doctor wrote:
Fishing and geocaching are a couple of our favorites. Also, a couple of my kids just got some inexpensive digital cameras and spend hours and hours taking pictures and videos.

Love these ideas! We are normally tent campers but taking our 1st TT trip in a few days for Mother's Day! Have to read up on the geocaching in our area (NY). Thanks.
Melissa & Eric

2005 KZ 2809 Frontier
2007 Denali Yukon XL
2 Polaris Quads
3 Blessings
1 DH = gift from GOD
and the kitchen sink!

boatms03
Explorer
Explorer
homemade ice cream! of course we cheat and have an electric one, but it still tastes oohhh so good!
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2017 Sierra 381 RBOK

TimandTerri
Explorer
Explorer
There have been so many great memories of camping. Making fruit cobbler on the fire in a cast iron pot, doe boys (biscuits wrapped around a dowel cooked over the fire and filled with pudding), family hikes to find "never before seen" places, riding bikes, catching minnows and crayfish, and playing games. The one that has stuck as must have is a box full of crayons and coloring books. One 19, the other 4 in their 20's, some with kids of their own. They still sit around the picnic table coloring every time we camp.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mr. D. Looks like fun.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Wawhoss
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about rainy days....jig saw puzzel was our answer to winey kids kept them busy til the sun came out. It really kept them quiet.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We make every trip with our grandson son in mind. We've found that if he has fun then we all do. We always plan what entertainment will be available before each trip whether it's at our destination or games/etc. we play while in camp.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
SPOONS! Great game to play. I first got invited to play this back in the late 1960's when camping with a couple of teenage buddies at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. The family camping next to us invited us over for dinner (took pity on the three teenagers eating a can of beans) and then introduced us to spoons. Fast action, gotta pay attention, and can sometimes get a bit manic, ...but tons of fun. We. Often break out the spoons when camping or even at home when the now 20 something daughters bring boyfriends over for game night. Never had one new player who didn't like the game once they played it.

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
We pick music
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to remember how to play the Ukulele is my current "outing" game. Learning new chords, etc!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer