cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone Park Campgrounds

jleas524
Explorer
Explorer
Okay folks, we are heading out to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons/Jacksonhole area this year. We will be traveling in a Class C and want to spend at least a week in Yellowstone.
Who has stayed in the campgrounds in Yellowstone and which do you prefer. We are considering splitting our trip up between two different campgrounds.
Any information that you can pass on will be helpful...

Thanks
2003 Winnebago Minnie
9 REPLIES 9

jleas524
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. I like the idea of staying at atleast two different campgrounds. We will be going to the Grand Tetons either before or after the Yellowstone trip. I am leaning towards after Yellowstone. We are really looking forward to this trip. We won't have a toad with us, so we will be traveling the park in the motorhome.
2003 Winnebago Minnie

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely make reservations NOW! You will do a lot of driving anyway, and for a week, I'd recommend staying in no more than 2 CGs, as it takes about 1/2 day to change sites (including driving between the CGs.) As others have pointed out, Fishing Bridge is the only CG inside the park with any hookups at all. If you will need them, you will need to camp there or at a CG outside the park. Fishing Bridge is booked through Xanterra, the lodging concessioner for the park; I believe they also manage reservations for the NPS CGs that take them (Madison, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Canyon).

For camping outside the park, I'd recommend Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. It's the closest to the park, very clean & nice, and takes reservations. It's also slightly less expensive than the KOA (less shade, though, I think) and is walkable to town. It's been our preference for several years now. We tried Fishing Bridge last fall and, though the location was unbeatable, the sites are TIGHT. It's really cheek-to-jowl and not all that pleasant, IMO.

If you're spending a week in Yellowstone, why not spend a day or two of that time in the Tetons? They're right next door (literally about 5 miles between them) and the pass for one park is good for both. You may want to consider a couple nights in GTNP as well, and again if you need hookups, Colter Bay RV Park would be your best bet. I believe the NPS CGs for GTNP are not reservable - haven't checked into that, so I may be wrong.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
We have stayed in Fishing Bridge RV Campground at least three times in the past five years. It is the only campground in the park that has full hookups. It is always crowded and the sites are very close together. But, we love the location.
x2 We were last there in June and stayed 10 nights. We liked the fact that we could see all sections of the park by taking day trips from our camp.Yes the sites are close but we were only in camp to sleep. We liked that there is a gas station, store,cafe within walking distance. The only thing I recommend, no matter where you stay if it's within the park, is stock up on groceries before heading in to park. They have staples but they are pricey and not much selection of anything else. We loved Yellowstone so much that we are returning this summer. Make reservations now and have a great time! It's wonderful and we saw our first and only wolf near Fishing Bridge. We were leaving camp one morning and as we drove over the bridge we noticed a couple standing outside their vehicle excitedly pointing to a hillside overlooking the road. There was one very large lone gray wolf overlooking the road. We had just spent the previous day in the Lamar Valley looking for wolves and here we saw one right in our own backyard!

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in Fishing Bridge RV Campground at least three times in the past five years. It is the only campground in the park that has full hookups. It is always crowded and the sites are very close together. But, we love the location.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the month, camp grounds fill up fast in the mornings. Madison is the biggest one, about 15 miles in from West Yellowstone. If you want to stay at Fishing bridge, make reservations way early. Its like a little city there the only place with full hook-ups. Just driving past it turns me off. Think of main park road as a figure 8. Madison is at the center of the 8 on the west side, or left side looking at the 8. So you are central in the park Madison has dump stations and other perks. West Yellowstone has some great full hook-up parks. Many stay there and drive in each day. West entrance is in West Yellowstone.

Hotels in the park are outrageous hundreds of dollars a night. We use to stay there for less than a hundred in the '70's. Same for West Yellowstone hotels. We now just go for the day, we live 90 miles wast, or stay in our Class C in the park, or in Island Park, Idaho dry camp grounds for sixteen dollars a night and drive through the park.

Gas is no problem. Right now in Idaho Falls, Idaho its $1.80 a gallon at some locations. I would defiantly make reservations far ahead no mater where you stay. No mater were you go, depending on the month, well be loaded with people. We plan on going soon as the park is open just to see the new born buffalo they look like little orange drops.

One last thing. When driving in the park don't go buzzing around blind curves. There is a good chance someone has parked in the middle of the road looking at something, most likely and elk, and have no concept its a public road. Take it easy!
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mammoth, on the north side, is the park headquarters and is like a small village with museum, hotel, old fort, and the campground is on the side of a hill so has several levels with good views of the valley, etc. Not a lot of shade.

Norris is almost in the middle of the park, so well located. Shaded well, small so not too crowded.

Madison is on the west side and very shady with lodgepole pines and on a river. Very popular so it runs full most of the time.

On the east side, Bridge Bay has two sections...one is open with few trees and the other has more trees and shrubs. Close to the lake and Fishing Bridge..hotels, dining, visitor center, etc.

These are the ones I like best. Whichever ones you choose, get reservations NOW or it is likely you won't get what you want when you want it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We were exceptionally happy with the West Yellowstone KOA. We had a premium site with patio, large new concrete table and bench, adult swing, shade trees, and really level. The indoor pool, family activities, and location were great also. In Jackson we stayed at the Virginian. It is a nice gravel RV park behind the Virginian Hotel/motel. Guests have access to all hotel amenities (pool, laundry). Very friendly, clean, and a great central location only about a mile from central Jackson. While up there if you need service or rentals I highly recommend Big Sky. We needed RV service during our trip and they were fantastic, making us mobile in the evening so we could return to the campsite, and finishing up when the parts came in the next day. We also rented a 15 passenger van from them so our entire group could tour together.
Happy Trails.

khager76248
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Yellowstone twice now, the first time we camped the entire time at Fishing Bridge. So we had to drive everyday, alot(hours).
The second trip we learned our lesson, and spent 2 to 3 days at Fishing Bridge, then the camp ground N. Yellowstone(don't remember the name but it's still in the park), and then the campground that's near Old Faithful. Keep in mind that Yellowstone is huge, and so I would definitely recommend doing what we did during our 2nd trip. Also, I think fishing bridge is the only campground with hookups, but if you are in a Class C that shouldn't be a problem. I know you will enjoy your trip, Yellowstone is one of our favorites.
:)2008 Georgetown 315DS SE:)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Madison(reservations) and Indian Creek (No reservations) No hook ups has water faucets spread through campground.
Did not care for Fishing Bridge(hook ups). It is too crowded.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker