8 horses in 9 days

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
5 REPLIES 5

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
CA actually passed a law a few years ago banning racing of horses not yet two actual years old. Before that, a foal could be born on Dec 31 and be considered a yearling the next day, and raced a year later.

It is time to end horse racing. One of the big tracks here in So Cal closed a few months back. I was happy.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
AND they're kind of fragile to start with... most of the popular "English" horses (dressage/jumping/hunting, etc) are crosses between Thoroughbreds and cold-blooded horses to give them some heavier bones.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
This seems like a particularly high "toll" for a track - but as long as they keep racing BABIES (a 2 yr old horse is NOT mature, particularly in a large breed like Thoroughbreds), these senseless deaths are going to happen.

X10.

Yup. Their growth plates are not closed at that age. My horses do not go into training for riding until they are 4 years old.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems like a particularly high "toll" for a track - but as long as they keep racing BABIES (a 2 yr old horse is NOT mature, particularly in a large breed like Thoroughbreds), these senseless deaths are going to happen.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Very sad to read that.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P