Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs who killed man will be authanized

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogs

Here's the latest: This is just so sad......

Basically, a man out jogging in the countryside, was attacked and killed by 2 Cane Corsos, who had bitten people in the past. After the previous bites, the couple who owned them, was told to confine the dogs - but they never did. They are now facing charges of second-degree murder; and have consented to having their 3 adult dogs euthanized and giving the puppies to a rescue group.

Perhaps the moral of the story is to carry protection for yourself, from aggressive dogs owned by idiots who choose to ignore the laws; and don't assume the gov't is enforcing those laws, either.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
11 REPLIES 11

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
MA has some pretty strange laws, too. I just made the general assumption that people would abide by their own state's regulations. What would REALLY work well is using Aqua Net hairspray, if it's still made. My mother used it and you could land a B52 on her head without a hair being pushed out of place. If you walked through the spray cloud too soon it would glue your eyes shut and suck the air out of your lungs!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding pepper sprays: some states (like Michigan) don't allow one to purchase it online; fortunately, my brother lives in Illinois, so brings my order to me;-)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
They can be very aggressive and very large.

So can a bloodhound. Not the discussion here.

My recommendation would be to carry pepper or bear spray. Small canister can be slipped into a pocket or something. Generally non-lethal but should stop almost any aggressive animal.

They have small shock devices for personal protection. I agree to carry non-lethal devices. Even if you are not personally in danger, you may come across another situation that can be stopped or diverted by the prudent use of pepper spray, loud alarm, shock device, or even a well-weighted tire billy. All of which can be easily carried when on a walk/run. Of course, common sense prevails.

pjzocc
Explorer
Explorer
And the couple are in the US illegally.

I'd say a wrongful death suit filed against the federal government from the deceased jogger's family would seem in order. How they were still in the country after the first two attacks by the dogs is beyond my feeble mental capacity.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
They can be very aggressive and very large.

So can a bloodhound. Not the discussion here.

My recommendation would be to carry pepper or bear spray. Small canister can be slipped into a pocket or something. Generally non-lethal but should stop almost any aggressive animal.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Looking up there breed. They can be very aggressive and very large.
Not a family dog or one to be around non family members.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
dogs

Here's the latest: This is just so sad......

Basically, a man out jogging in the countryside, was attacked and killed by 2 Cane Corsos, who had bitten people in the past. After the previous bites, the couple who owned them, was told to confine the dogs - but they never did. They are now facing charges of second-degree murder; and have consented to having their 3 adult dogs euthanized and giving the puppies to a rescue group.

Perhaps the moral of the story is to carry protection for yourself, from aggressive dogs owned by idiots who choose to ignore the laws; and don't assume the gov't is enforcing those laws, either.

And also lets euthanize the killer/killers of the 14 year old girl walking a walking path with her dog when they are found..

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts are all Joggers/Walkers/Bikers should carry some type of protective device to be used against aggressive animals or humans along the way. Even my mailman has a canister of spray for such if needed.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:

Or maybe the moral of the story is to stop allowing idiots to own dogs period. This owner has an aggressive dog and chose to: 1) breed that dog; 2) let that dog run loose; and 3) continue to do 1 and 2 after the dog had bitten someone. The owners should have had their rights to own a dog taken away as soon as they chose to #1. They're just going to go find another dog and start all over again.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I have been challenged many times by large dogs going under or around fences in our neighborhood. So far I have been lucky - a firm and loud "get back in your yard" has actually worked. The 3 1/2-legged 150-pound frothing rottweiler was pretty intimidating. We also have coyotes and javelinas in our area. Don't laugh about the javelina - we had a lady hospitalized a few months ago from an attack.

We could get all political here and go on a tangent. I will mirror the OPs advice to carry protection. I do.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a number of dogs charge me while walking/jogging country roads. After researching local laws, my choices of self defense are limited.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch