cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adopting older "kids"

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along the way, we had 4, count them, 4 rescued King Charles Spaniels at one time. Our very first and turned out to be our last(surviving her three younger sisters) made the Journey to the Rainbow Bridge about 5 months ago. We still have two other rescues(a mini Schnauzer and a Wire haired Mini Dachshund).

I realize we are setting ourselves up for heartbreak but we may soon adopt two matched King Charles Spaniels that are 13 years old. Unusual circumstances make it necessary for the owner to leave the "kids" behind(owner is leaving the country and her concern is the long flight and a month long quarantine would be too much for the kids to handle)….I tend to agree with her thinking.

Anyways....I know its the right thing to do for the Doggies(giving them a Loving Home for whatever time(years hopefully) they have left. We've adopted an older doggie before so this is not completely unheard of.

Anyone else here adopt older ones...any regrets(I can't imagine any)...any words of wisdom? Thanks for listening....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
49 REPLIES 49

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
We only adopt senior rescues now. Started about 6 years ago. We are of the age we still love dogs but don't have the energy to handle an active dog. Yes, they might not be with you as long but you are giving them a loving home until the end. At this what is all about. Most people don't want the seniors so it is a wonderful thing to do.
LUVRVN

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elvis and Rosie were so very close to one another. There dynamic was so interesting to watch. Rosie was the leader without a doubt. I had just commented to my wife a few days earlier how the both of them would always follow her into the kitchen hoping for a treat. Of course they generally got one.

It really doesn't take much time to become bonded to our Fur Kids, I miss Elvis so much but we are giving Rosie extra attention during this grieving period along with our two other rescues.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry about Elvis. In the short time he was with you, he experienced a lot of love. No telling if it would've been the same had he not been with you. What a joy to have known and loved him! You have is litter mate now to continue the love with.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are always issues when a new dog comes into our homes but thank God for people like you who provide so many dogs with love and care. Our dogs have always been rescued also but to adopt older dogs knowing the heartbreak would be tough. Just know that you will be giving them amazing lives for the time they are with you and that they will enhance your lives also.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of our dogs have been 7 or older. The oldest was around 12 yrs old. No regrets ever. Love the old ones. Our current was 8 when we got her. She is now 14, will be 15 in June. Wouldn't change a thing.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elvis did get to enjoy two months of motorhome travel with us. He took to it very well except for the slippery floors....plenty of throw rugs on the floor.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the kind words all and especially that related story "toedtoes
"!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes I think this happens because we are meant to give the sibling a new lease on life. If this had happened in their old home, Rosie would likely have had a horrible time. Instead she is with you and has new siblings and new experiences; letting her brother go will is easier than it would have been.

I adopted two parrots (live in separate cages, but next to each other) who had been together for 28 years. Six months later the female died of cancer. The male is now Dog-bird and is so happy. He goes camping and loves it. He is no longer overshadowed by his outgoing, friendly sister - but is now the center of attention. He has a new flock (the dogs). He will even eat other than his seeds when camping (other food is still poison at home, but when camping it is somehow OK). Even though her passing was sad and I felt like I had failed somehow, I now realize that I was meant to give HIM a new life. Andat that I have succeeded.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for your loss, it's amazing how attached we become in such a short time. You gave him a good home where he was loved, what more can a dog ask for.

dturm
That is so sad. You gave him comfort, love and a warm safe place for his final months.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its with tremendous sadness that I report that Elvis(our new Male 13 year old adoptee) has passed. He was such a lovable Baby. The loss was sudden, quick and totally unexpected. We had just given him a treat, he collapsed and when I went to pick him up, his whole body was limp. I tried mouth to nose resuscitation, I cleared his mouth and throat for any possible obstructions and even pumped his heart to No avail.

I feel so guilty that I would have, could have done more. His sister is getting lots of extra attention and seems Ok so far. We are devastated.:(
96 Vogue Prima Vista

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Good news.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The kids have arrived! Elvis and Rosie, a bonded pair of 13 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. There adorable and so far so good in getting along with our younger two doggies. Thanks to all for your encouragement.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Years ago, my husband and I took in a 9 year old Golden Retriever that had been her owner's lake house dog. The lady died, and her elderly husband didn't want the dog. Knowing that Goldens don't tend to live long, we figured that Sunshine would be with us 2-3 years at most. That old girl lived to be 17!!
That's remarkable and speaks of good care. Very commendable for you taking her in.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, my husband and I took in a 9 year old Golden Retriever that had been her owner's lake house dog. The lady died, and her elderly husband didn't want the dog. Knowing that Goldens don't tend to live long, we figured that Sunshine would be with us 2-3 years at most. That old girl lived to be 17!!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI