cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collies go to bed early

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Of a evening the Collies go to bed while I watch TV . The problem is they wake up around 3:30 am and usually wake me as well. I have always got up early (but not that early). I can usually go back to sleep by playing possum. They watch me for about 30 seconds to see if my eyes are open or any movement, if not they go back to bed. If they detect movement the day has begun.

Any of you experience this behavior with your dogs?

Part of this behavior was because I use to get up at 4:45 for work, retired now and would like to sleep in until 7.
21 REPLIES 21

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A more comfortable bed may help. Moose-dog used to get up as soon as he knew I was awake. Now he sleeps on 2-1/2 inches of memory foam and doesn't get up until I make him.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
gee, I thought I was the only one that operated on GST! :W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I take the puppy (4 month old) for a walk at 10:30 PM. He wakes me up at 6:30 every morning. It was 4:00 for a couple weeks. I only had to mop up once in the last 5 days so I don't mind getting up, I just have to take a nap in the afternoon. I may be to old to get a puppy next time this guy is like the energizer bunny.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My springers are true examples of "conditioned response". If they don't hear anybody, they don't get up. One of us can get up, take a shower, eat breakfast then leave the house and if they don't hear anything they don't wake up. It helps that the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and they are in the basement. They are so "Pavlonian" that during the week as soon as I shut my laptop down they go to the slider to be let out, come in, then wait by the door to the basement. On weekends when the routine is different (hubby feeds not me) if I do the same thing they don't move. All but one of my dogs have been this way. Our schedule, not theirs.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
The time change says I get an extra hour - not really but the clock indicates that. Both are pretty regular between 6-6:30 and it takes some time to get adjusted to daylight saving time.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
It happens here every morning!

Yesterday BJ was in our bedroom and she starts her whining; no voice to this whin just breath (call it a whisper whin if you’d like). After ignoring this she’ll start pacing around the bed. The dogs in the mud room (right below our bedroom) hear her walking around and they start whining, singing, and barking.

Playing possum is done, sigh.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My Scottie goes out just before we retire. I usually have to wake her up, but I want her to pee before I settle in. Of a morning, she sleeps in. I'm up now at 5 (busy day, can't sleep) but I will probably have to wake her up at 8.

LOL

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/