cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diabetic incontinence?

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sigh - poor Jimmy (8 yr old diabetic Aussie-poo), it's just one issue after another it seems? The "water weirdness" finally was resolved by him sitting at the kitchen sink, asking for a drink (even though the "terrifying water bowl" is 3' away - he would die of thirst before touching that). But if *I* hold the Magical Square White Bowl, (?) he will happily drink. sigh....

So now I've discovered damp-ish spots in the morning, where he likes to sleep between us at night. Weirdly, these spots smell like urine, but don't glow in ultraviolet light like a "normal" urine spot does. Scratching my head on that one. Is it possible that he's sleeping so deeply, that he "leaks"? Or even dreams of peeing... ? I mean, he's a true gentleman when indoors - would NEVER potty in the house, let alone on a bed he likes to sleep in. And he's really good at waking me if he needs to pee during the night. I'd be willing to wager a huge amount of money that he is NOT doing this consciously.

I don't think it's a UTI - he seems OK, can go a long time before asking to go out, then empties his bladder like a Pro. The urine appears clear and pale straw-colored.

I have some incontinence "belts" ordered for him - I feel like that's kinder than banishing him from the bed - and a ton easier to deal with than washing king-sized bedding ๐Ÿ˜ž

Has anyone else with a diabetic dog had to deal with this? Aside from this - he's his usual happy, lovable self....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
17 REPLIES 17

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies - Dr Doug, do I dare wait a month to have testing done until we're back in Michigan with my regular Vet? Last night (to preserve the freshly-washed bedding), I duct-taped a towel around Jimmy's tummy, and although he looked at me quizzically, he hopped in bed and went to sleep. And had a "dry night" (maybe if he's somewhat bugged about the waistband, he won't sleep so deeply as to have a leak?). I thought about protective pads, but he DOES choose to sleep on the floor if he gets too hot in the bed.

In spite of his high-energy mix, Jimmy's pretty laid back; so I'm hoping the waistbands will be the answer? I'll find out tonight ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Our diabetic dog had that problem until we were able to help her with twice daily insulin shots. She lived several years with the daily shots but was blind for the last couple of years. The incontinence never came back after the shots started.

Other problems can cause the incontinence so the test are needed.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

dturm
It could be volume of urine issues due to diabetes, incontinence (though much more common in females than males) unrelated to diabetes or something else.

First thing I'd do is dog a glucose test on his urine, then maybe a urinalysis. I really don't like messing with the incontinence pads on dogs, they don't usually like them and it causes more stress. There are a few medications that are very effective in dealing with incontinence. If he sleeps in the same place without moving much :B, you might try an incontinence bed pad - Walgreens makes a generic version that is pretty large, has a plastic backing and absorbent layers to catch the urine.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV