cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? For those with Truck Campers

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just saw a picture of Sue t.'s camper with fold down steps (I think hers has 5 steps?), and I wanted to ask her this question, but it would have been highjacking a thread....

Will your dogs climb those steps??

I had to cover my 5er's 3 steps with a piece of carpet, to disguise the openness of them, but they're still pretty good-sized. I'm wondering about the even narrower (width AND depth) truck camper steps. My dogs are small enough that we can lift them (Jimmy could probably make the straight leap into the camper, but I don't want him jumping down) - but before I spend the $$$$ for the scissors-type stairs, I'd like to know what other owners/dogs do?

Thanks!
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
8 REPLIES 8

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Sue!! That's good to know - I think Jimmy will jump (Because he CAN) no matter what.

I stumbled onto this wide-step step stool - and have put it on my "wish list" - I think it might be easier to use when a trailer is behind the TC (because I can turn it sideways), and it might be easier for "Big Foot" Ed, too...LOL! The top handrail will fold down, out of the way. A LOT less expensive than the scissor-steps!

Stable-Step
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I just saw a picture of Sue t.'s camper with fold down steps (I think hers has 5 steps?), and I wanted to ask her this question, but it would have been highjacking a thread....

Will your dogs climb those steps??

Deb

Yup, they do. Initially it was confusing for Ursa (100lbs) but after a few times of doing them slow with careful coaching, she now handles them fine, up and down.

Kodi, well, he's a high-energy 40lb. go-getter, and he simply jumps from the ground to the camper door. I have to be on the ball to be sure the door is open far enough so he doesn't hit the bottom corner of the door. He's quick! He also jumps out in one leap, while Ursa takes one step at a time.

Kodi also jumps from the floor of the camper to the bunk in one leap, like a cat. Ursa takes her time, stepping up on the various steps to get there.

With the fifth wheel, it is the same. Ursa uses the stairs and Kodi leaps in and out, crazy guy.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
campn4walleye wrote:
Our TC has different steps than most. These are the steps that came attached to be used when it's on the truck.

We made sure Buddy Blue took them slow and little Duncan the Cavalier has no issues at all. Hope this helps.

WOW! Those are nice steps!! Yes, I have to watch 35-lb Jimmy because he gets spooky about the steps and tries to jump the majority of them ๐Ÿ˜ž Ben (17 lbs) just saunters right up. Last year, Jack, our mostly-blind, somewhat demented elderly Cattle Dog, had a terrible time with the 5er steps; and both Ed and I got bitten for our attempts to help him..... he is now camping the Rainbow Bridge and that won't be a problem.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dogs are good with steps - even open ones. Where we have issues is that Moose-dog is extremely long legged and long bodied (like a moose). He has a hard time climbing steps because they're too short on the horizontal. He ends up using the steps as a "jumping off point". He steps on the first step, then does a half leap/half step to the top step - his front feet on the top and his back feet a couple steps down - then he climbs the rest of the way with his back feet.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Our TC has different steps than most. These are the steps that came attached to be used when it's on the truck.

This is a picture of the steps as used when off the truck. The flip down steps are removed and we use an adjustable aerobic step. Our step bumper is wider than most. I love it, I never feel like I'll fall off the edge. I know it's a ways away but hopefully you can see it.

We made sure Buddy Blue took them slow and little Duncan the Cavalier has no issues at all. Hope this helps.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
1mtnman wrote:
Here is my solution to cope with my skeptical Golden.

Yep - that's what the steps on my 5er look like....LOL! And your Golden is OK with it that way?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
When we had the Lance, we never had a problem. Helped dogs in and out or if off truck, just lowered enough that wasn't a problem.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my solution to cope with my skeptical Golden.