cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

pookiebear38
Explorer
Explorer
I don't post a whole lot, but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts. I feel like I know Spot and Alex, I cried when Bobbi didn't come home, worried for you during the wildfires, and I laugh at your deer and the roadrunner. I love WLToo's books (was glad he made it a series). You bring a smile to my face some days when I really need it. So, just saying thanks and I hope that you keep this post going for a long time.
Me, DH, DD21, Elliott & Abby (dogs) and Mary Jane (cat)
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CF30SK
2011 Chevrolet 2500 HD

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know the feeling. When we lose Alex, he'll be the last connection to a whole series of very special cats.

Spot is special in his own way, as he found and adopted us, but he's a new line, so to speak.

Spot played try to trip the human all the way back from the gate this morning, then demanded to be held until he saw something that he had to go investigate. Makes the trip back from the gate much more strenuous then going to it, so I do get my exercise...

Then Alex wanted company while he did a short morning patrol around the north porch and pool deck, so I read out there a while.

It's fairly warm at 59 degrees, but the fog is still so thick we can't see the lake. We're just happy for the moist air. Now if it would only rain...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
That's so sweet, Dash. Has your current gang shown any similar tendencies?

They get along, but I have never seen the type of relationship that Max and Willow had. It grew continuously in the almost 10 years they spent together, until they were completely inseparable. I saw Max grieve noticeably when Willow was gone, and saw him perk up when I adopted Dot 3 months later. He definitely had mixed feelings, though, when 10-week-old Dash joined the household and immediately attached himself to old Max. The 3 months they spent together, though, were enough to put his imprint on the young pup. When Dash is gone, it will be like losing the last vestige of Max as well.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's so sweet, Dash. Has your current gang shown any similar tendencies?

We had two gloriously warm days in a row, in the high 70s, so Spot and Alex spent most of the time running in and out. Spot got in a couple of very long patrols, covering the entire fence line, so he's been more into napping today, now that it's only in the 60s and a mite breezy.

He seems to have decided that getting human affection in regular doses is a good idea. Unfortunately, his timing is a bit off on when he decides to demand that affection. This morning was as I was cooking lunch. I petted him as much as I could, but he really wanted to be picked up. WLToo coming over and doing just that wasn't quite what he wanted, though. Wrong human this time -- he chooses the human for affection, not the other way around.

Just watched a blue jay drink out of the pool. Sip, run to the pool deck edge, run back, sip, repeat. Haven't seen a jay in a while, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Dropped a new mineral rock next to the remnants of the old one. Last year's fawn has discovered it, but we've not noticed the others licking it yet. Mama Doe is now appearing at the door twice a day, so we started watering the grass. The next 60 days are the sparse times for deer grazing, so we'll give them something to graze on -- and lessen the fire hazard around the house. Today is a fire hazard warning day. Again.

Heard a banging on the door -- the roadrunner was knocking on the glass again. He must really hate his reflection...

Alex woke up, wants me to pay attention, so later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Right now, Alex is draped over my shoulder and down my chest, but he's not in the way of typing. So nice to be the preferred pillow...

Brings back another Max and Willow story. Willow the greyhound loved to lay her head on Max to sleep, and Max seemed quite content to have it there. In fact, I used to refer to Max as "Willow's pillow". Those two were quite the pair; I really miss them.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks, kokosfriend.

It's been fairly quiet around here the last few days. No sign of the reported hummingbirds yet.

Spot decided he needed some love this morning. He plopped his 14 pounds on my chest and lap and stayed there for about 20 minutes, then moved over to his glider. My arm went to sleep supporting him, but he was very happy.

Right now, Alex is draped over my shoulder and down my chest, but he's not in the way of typing. So nice to be the preferred pillow...

We're making progress in the garage. We now have walking around space, where we don't have to turn sideways and hope we don't hit a protrusion as we slither by. Still way too much stuff in there, but it's down to hard decisions time. I figure if we don't remember why we bought it, it's a great candidate for departing. If we hadn't used it in a couple years before we packed it up, it's an even better candidate for departure. That ought to clear some space.

Lunchtime. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I read you stories about ev ery day and also enjoy them!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks, dogcomestoo (great screen name).

Today is moist for a change. It's not raining, but the humidity is high enough that everything's wet. Spot is sooooo relieved. I can pet him without a static shock, and his skin isn't crawling. Still no clue as to how I can help relieve his crawly skin.

It's also quite warm, in the 60s already, so Spot did a long, leisurely morning patrol, before parking in a porch chair and cleaning his feet. Alex did a short patrol, then came back inside, wiped his wet feet on me, and headed off for a nap.

This year's fawn saw me standing on the porch and came marching right up. He's much smarter about humans and food than are his twin brothers of last year. So I brought out the apple cores from yesterday's putting apple slices in the food dehydrator, and he and Mama Doe were happy to get them.

A local forum announced that hummingbirds were in one lady's yard, which is unusual for January around here. But it's been quite mild, so they could be the locals coming home, and there are a few bugs for them to eat. So we'll put up the feeder as soon as the sugar water cools. If no one shows up in a few days, we'll just freeze the remaining sugar water until next month, when they normally appear. Good, I miss watching them.

Time to go to the hardware store...later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the updates. It is always fun to hear about you, WLToo, your cats and all your wild visitors. It sounds so cozy around your fireplace.

Just_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are the one who should be writing books....your posts are outstanding..:B
04 Monaco Signature
A 45' Monster with a DD 60 series 515 HP
Towing a Jeep Commander with a "Hemi"

DAM STALE DONUTS

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
So we had a very cold and windy night a few nights ago. The wind chimes were clanging so loud I couldn't sleep. I guess we've reached critical mass on the wind chimes. WLToo moved one out to a big tree, and the deer don't seem bothered by its new location.

Next day, the wind howled all day. We and both cats stayed inside, in front of the fireplace. Spot's chair is right under the fireplace warm air blower vents, so he was not about to get out of that chair.

Alex insisted on clinging to me, until I put a fleece throw on my legs. For some reason, he does not like that throw, so he stalked off. Several hours later, I found him in his "I don't feel good" bed. But it seems he uses the bed now as a refuge from Spot's chasing him, because he feels fine.

Yesterday, Mama Doe and all three fawns came up to the north porch. All got a celery stalk, and after I went back inside, Mama Doe walked up on the porch and looked into the door, wanting more handouts. Guess it's time to start watering the grass for them.

WLToo was measuring a shelf in the RV yesterday, and Spot joined him. When WLToo finished, he said, "Let's go, Spot," and Spot ran under the driver's side dash, sat down, and looked at him as though to say, "Yeah! Let's go!" He was so disappointed when WLToo picked him up and walked out of the RV. Next RV trip, they both go along.

WLToo gave me his third book to edit, so I'd best get on it.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's cool, windy, and cloudy today, with a tiny bit of occasional rain. Spot's been outside several times, but doesn't stay long. He and Alex really hate wind blowing into their ears.

I set up my glider rocker in the living room, and moved the second recliner into the spare bedroom. Now Spot can sleep or play in that chair, sit and stare at both of us, or stroll across the table between it and my recliner to stand on my chest for a few minutes, purring loudly. He's also discovered the rocker's foot stool, and seems to like sitting on it and staring into the fireplace. We haven't burned anything this year, hasn't been cold enough, so I don't know if he'll park right there when a fire's going.

Alex ate most of my snacking cheese just now, so he's sitting in my lap and bathing, while Spot is bathing in his chair. He's not interested in cheese.

No sign of the deer today or yesterday. I guess they're sheltering under the trees somewhere. The smallest twin is timid and the 2011 fawn is too small to jump the fence, and the gate was closed all day yesterday, so I know at least two are somewhere on the property. Won't go tromping around looking, though - I don't like cold wind in my ears, either...

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another gloriously beautiful day in the Hill Country. Alex has been nagging me for the last ninety minutes to feed him, even though it's still an hour until feeding time. I finally had to blow in his face to get him to go away.

We received a large package yesterday, and it contained two boxes, so Spot had three big boxes to play with. He does love boxes. Unfortunately, they were much too large to let him keep one, so this morning, the boxes went into the recycle container, and Spot's sulking on his tree.

The smallest of last year's twin bucks strolled past the south porch this morning, and didn't seem to be bothered that I was out there watching him. His knobs are noticeably larger, but no bone has emerged yet. His bigger brother has one knob that's got visible bone now. I expect them to join the buck herd sometime this year, probably just before Mama Doe gives birth. When they go, I doubt we'll recognize them as the buck herd wanders back and forth out there.

Think I'll go sit on the porch and stare at the lake, until it really is cat feeding time. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow. Didn't realize how long I'd gone without logging into RV.net. It was a lively holiday period, with lots of company. Both moms were here at different times. They're both very short, so our living room furniture doesn't quite fit. I brought my platform rocker in from the bedroom.

But did they get to sit in it? Noooooo. Spot decided that was the perfect kitty bed, and moved in. Now he will stay in the living room with us, instead of retreating to his tree in our bedroom. He plays on it, too, rolling all around and grabbing at the cat toy I attached to the rocker. So it's not only a bed, it's a kitty exerciser.

In a little bit, I'm moving one recliner into the spare bedroom, so Spot's new chair can stay in the living room. Since WLToo doesn't sit in that recliner, he won't miss it, and Spot can be social without having to interact directly with us. He's so funny.

Alex went through the holidays by jumping up on the upper kitchen cabinets or the laundry room shelf above the water heater. Too many people at once disturbs his serenity, so he goes high for security.

Both are doing very nicely on the lower percentage protein and fat levels in their food. Alex plays again, and chases Spot. Spot's gone from 14.2 to 14 pounds and should get back to his best weight of 11-12 pounds by springtime.

Mama Doe sure appreciated the company. Each time a visitor saw her, she'd get a vegetable or fruit handout. This year's fawn got brave enough to walk right up with Mama Doe and partake, too. The twin bucks are too skittish, so they miss out, unless they're the ones cleaning out the "compost" pile.

We had a fawn and doe visit. The fawn's right rear leg dangled loosely from the hock. After watching it for a while, I decided it was probably born that way. It didn't have any problems getting around, wasn't in pain, and was a healthy weight. They hung around in the meadow about a week, then went back out. Our only residents now are Mama Doe and her three.

Guess I'll stop now; Alex is in the way of my typing.

May you all have a healthy, happy and prosperous 2012.

Czarny, black cat

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maya walks on a leash, loves riding in a car, and loves water. My theory: she thinks she's a dog.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion