cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We just had our first birth of the year, right at sunset. It was probably Mama Doe; if so, she's a couple weeks earlier than last year and a month earlier than 2010. WLToo almost walked up on her giving birth. She must have just had it as he came down the driveway. He saw her first and clapped his hands so as not startle her, then he saw the baby. It was tiny, but was running full tilt within 10 minutes of birth. Her family of young bucks were just on the other side of the fence, avidly watching the birth of their latest sibling. That makes five fawns in the two years we've been here. There's another doe hanging out in our meadow, so could be more on the way.

Deer are quite amazing to watch.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Czarny, black cat

dturm
Wanderlost wrote:
Alex is sneezing a lot. Finally saw why: he sticks his nose into the water and has to sneeze it out. I guess at his age a little depth perception problem is expected.

Kitty Neti Pot ... just doing a good old sinus flush :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's a still, warm day in the Texas Hill Country. I've been watching a Rufus hummingbird at the old feeder; it doesn't like the new one. Finally checked out a hummingbird encyclopedia from the library, to see if we can identify the others.

Spot was Mr. Love Me, Please all day yesterday. It was so cute. He's gradually learning to tolerate being petted somewhere besides his head and jowls, but it will still be a long process. Haven't seen him on the cat tree in about a month; he prefers our bed and the rocking chair now.

Alex is sneezing a lot. Finally saw why: he sticks his nose into the water and has to sneeze it out. I guess at his age a little depth perception problem is expected.

We heard what sounded like a rabbit being captured by something last night. I looked over at Spot and said, "See? That's why I don't want you to go outside at night." He rolled over and continued snoozing.

What's interesting is that we haven't seen any rabbits around here since 2010.

WLToo is back on his RV upgrade project: replacing both old TVs with flat screen. It won't be pretty, but it will be functional.

I'm hot. Time for a swim. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got home Friday night, picked up the boys Saturday morning. They've been very clingy ever since.

My brother and SIL have several bird feeders, so we got to watch all kinds of interesting birds. Would like to do that here, but where to place them so we can watch, but still not interfere with the lake and Hill Country views, is a bit of a challenge.

We came back with a new hummingbird feeder, the sort of flat kind with a perch. We hoped the hummers had not deserted us while we were gone. Well, a ruby throated hummer is still here and seems to like the new feeder. We can get a good look at it, while it perches to feed.

Meanwhile, the katydids are leaving brown goop all over doors and porches, then dying on the porches, usually right in front of a door. How rude. Time to power wash -- at least those areas not currently being rained upon.

Mama Doe and another doe are in the meadow, both very, very pregnant. We should have fawn(s) within a couple weeks.

While we were gone, it rained so much that the pool was near to overflowing. The island out in the lake is an island again, water level being up two feet. Both rivers are up three feet from last week's rain.

It's been raining buckets since last night, and the pool is definitely overflowing. We can't see the lake for the rain. If we had a water collection system, it would be completely full by now -- still saving the pennies for that one. All this rain isn't going to break the drought, but it sure does help with that and with lowering the wildfire danger.

Spot decided this morning he just had to taste my V8, and my yoghurt. He seems to like the V8; didn't care for the yoghurt.

Meanwhile, Alex came home nearly starving. Seems he would only lick the gravy from his food. So I started blending the food and gravy together into a soup or pate, and he's eating all of it. He also eats the dry food, when I hand it to him as though it's a kitty treat. I figure he's not willing to share a dry food bowl with Spot for some reason, so whenever he wants food between feeding times, we'll pretend the kibble is a treat. Whatever works at his advanced age...

WLToo's third novel was published this morning on Amazon Kindle, and the first sale came from the UK. He has a world-wide following -- we're still somewhat amazed by that. Anyway, if you like rip-snorting science fiction adventure, look for Scout Force, First Command, and Where The Stars Are Few And Far Between. He's a really good storyteller, and I'm not speaking as the spousal unit, but as a fan of his stories.

We'll be attending Comicpalooza in Houston, to advertise the books (and to watch all the Trekkers and other SciFi fans in costume). Should be right interesting.

Worked out with my trainer yesterday, after a week of driving, overeating, and sitting around my brother's place, reading and watching birds. Yet today I am not sore -- obviously the previous three weeks of weight training is already having an effect.

Well, it's lunchtime -- the "feed me" headache is starting. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
So the kitties are in the hoosegau, and we're on the road. Moved a friend and then came to visit my brother. His two kitties are friendly as long as you just pet them while they stroll by, so we're not getting a whole lot of kitty love right now. Sigh.

They have several hummingbird feeders and other bird feeders, so we are watching quite a variety that we don't see at our place. Very entertaining.

But they don't have deer...

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a bit of a mystery. We've not seen Mama Doe in some time, but we have a very pregnant doe and two older fawns in the meadow with her. They run away when we say hello. I would expect Han and Spooky to have joined the buck herd by now, but Mama Doe and Solo should still be around. Instead, we have strangers. Interesting...

Spot isn't feeling good. He threw up a huge hairball at 0230 this morning, then a few minutes later, heaved some bile. When I went back to bed, he settled in next to me much tighter than usual. He's kept his breakfast and lunchtime treats down, but is sleeping mostly today. Luckily, he visits the vet tomorrow.

Alex is back to rolling in the dirt, so he's not real popular as a lap cat at the moment. He's also much too warm, in this very warm weather.

Sat on the porch and watched some ants haul away a green hopper carcass. Don't know where their colony is, but it's not right around the house, so they can live. Gives the horned toads some food -- their primary food source is red ants.

I do love to watch the critters around here. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
It is fascinating the way animals will protect their nests and dens even against creatures much bigger. I know there is a fox den somewhere on my next-door neighbor's property and, when I walk the dogs, I often see one of the foxes shadowing us, following along in the trees along the street and watching us closely, but not approaching. Of course, the dogs, especially Molly, want to go after it.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Morning, all. It's an overcast day, with a cool breeze blowing through the house. I do like not having to run the air conditioner -- just open the right combination of windows and sliding doors, and it's just as nice inside as out.

Have to get more bug repellant spray for the doors and windows, though. Our insect crop is booming this year. Got some green hoppers in profusion -- no idea what they are, but all they seem to do is cling to the stucco, leave brown goo on the laundry room door, then drop dead right where we can step on 'em. Yuck. I think we might spray the concrete around each door, too, so they won't even go there.

Our Mexican hat wildflowers are just about to burst into bloom. We have a huge crop, bigger than the last two years, so it should be really pretty.

Haven't seen the deer much. They're all spooky right now, but they're drinking from the water trough and licking the mineral stone, so we know they're around. Probably about a month left before Mama Doe drops this year's fawn(s).

I went to the porch edge to open the gate (remote control), and all the barn swallows had a fit. How dare a human stand beneath the nest with the babies in it? It was rather humorous how they started to swoop at me, then realized I'm really big by their standards, and would veer off while no doubt calling me all kinds of names.

As soon as I got back to the door, I looked over and every adult had immediately roosted in the nests or on a door frame, and were looking at me. They are so much fun to watch.

I see a cricket. I hate crickets. Must go get the flip flop o' doom. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
A scarlet tanager just clung to one of our porch pillars and stared at us for a while. Why is a yellow green bird called a "scarlet" tanager?

The Commemorative Air Force is flying today. A P-39 Aircobra and a B-25 Mitchell flew over the house and circled the lake. I do wish we had a high quality camera with super zoom, so we can get photos of them flying over the house. Sigh, something else to save up for...

We have at least four baby barn swallows. WLToo saw their little heads just a few minutes ago. Hope we get more soon; we're having all sorts of flying insects this spring.

Spot is turning into a grass burr magnet. Each time he comes back inside, he plucks grass burrs off his fur and tosses them on the floor. He doesn't do so well getting them off his tail, though, so I do it with the Furminator. He and Alex both hate having their tails messed with, so I have to sneak up on him.

Sigh. Have to spray again. Pity there's not an insect or herbivore that relishes grass burrs. I wonder if grass burrs would make a good ethanol base? That and Johnson grass would be some serious reusuable energy...

It's time for a swim. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It appears that Mama Doe is allowing all the fawns inside again. With Little Orphan Fawnie, that's five deer in the meadow.

The territorial hummingbird just allowed another of about the same size to eat from the feeder without a fuss, so I guess they're mates. Looking forward to new hummingbirds soon. WLToo ran the video camera for about 90 minutes the other day, so we should be able to identify the hummers who showed up -- as soon as he finds the cable so we can hook the camera up to the TV.

Alex has been driving us crazy, demanding food, then eating too fast, then throwing up, then demanding food, etc. So we put them on a 3 times per day gooshy food schedule. Calmed him right down. I guess he's not able or willing to eat the dry food anymore, and 3 oz per day of gooshy food was not enough. So he gets 4.5 oz of his own, and whatever else of Spot's that Spot didn't eat.

Spot's still figuring out the change; he knows when breakfast and lunchtime treats were, and now a meal instead of treats has him a little puzzled. He's never been fussy about supper, but he does know to come in before 10:00 pm to get evening treats.

I see the pool is up to 83.5 degrees. Time for a swim. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spot appears to have decided sleeping up against my side is a good thing. Yesterday, he was stretched out by my side, and Alex decided I needed to wake up, so he started pawing me. Spot stood up, planted his front feet on my chest, and glared at Alex. Alex promptly laid down, and Spot moved back to his place. I slept a bit longer.

This morning, WLToo fed the boys while I was still deeply asleep. When I woke up, both cats had trapped me under the covers. I had to wiggle out from under the covers while they both insisted on staying right where they were. Spot stayed on the bed most of the morning. I guess he's figured out that he's welcome there.

Today was very long, so I'm headed to bed. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's been so cool at night the last few days, that we've actually had to wear sweatpants in the morning, instead of our normal shorts. Even had to close the windows because the cool winds were making Alex very uncomfortable. Poor little guy couldn't roll up into a tight enough ball on my lap.

Today's warming up nicely, though, and he's sleeping peacefully in the spare bedroom, where it's warm.

I woke up this morning with Spot curled up against my leg. He didn't want to move, so each time I did, he swatted me. When WLToo finally got up to feed them, Spot left and I could wiggle out of the covers.

I had my nuclear stress test yesterday. Other than the IV insertion into my bitty little vein, the only stress was holding my arms over my head for 15-20 minutes twice while lying down, so the gamma camera could do its thing. The treadmill was not an issue; took until the last two minutes to reach the target heart rate, then my heart rate dropped right back to normal within two minutes of stopping. I'm in a lot better cardio shape than I thought, thanks to the swimming pool. I do have to avoid small children and pregnant women for a couple of days, though I don't glow in the dark...

A number of butterflies have found the hummingbird feeder. It's kinda funny to watch a hummingbird hover and get all frustrated at the butterflies, but they can't communicate, so the butterfly drinks until it's full, while the hummer loudly complains.

WLToo said he was kept awake last night by mockingbirds chirping away. Not sure what got them up and yakking all night, but each time he woke up, they were at it.

Mama Doe strolled past the south porch yesterday. She's getting anti-social, so she must be nearing birthing time. Meanwhile, Little Orphan Fawnnie is back in the meadow, sans mama as usual, and Mama Doe doesn't seem to mind her being here, while she's keeping her own outside. Solo is just about the same size as the twins. They all still walk the fence line to keep her in sight. We're assuming that Little Orphan Fawnnie is a doe, and that's why Mama Doe doesn't mind her in the meadow.

Time to do something around here. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to hear all is well with you and your little furry buddies.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The boys spent most of today inside. It's really windy, which they don't like, plus we were gone several hours, working at our Harley Owners Group pig roast. Now that we're home, they're sleeping on my chair arm or in the rocker. Guess it's just one of those days.

WLToo is working on setting up a motion sensor camera by the hummingbird feeder, so we can actually document the types and numbers who feed there. Then we can actually see the colors and participate in the Texas Hummingbird Survey.

Hope all of you in the storm line stay safe.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat